Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Kamikaze Header

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey steve just got my car back - seems a little jumpier was flooring it around and didnt notice the gas guage go down so we may be set for a while.

as for resetting the ECU - still need to do that. I tried but i couldnt get the neg terminal off, it was hard for me, or i dont have the right tools. so i still need to do that either later tonight or tomorrow sometime. and then will let u know for sure how it is.

thanks for the help. As for the wire - they did lengthen it some, not a whole lot but a little and its ya pretty much right after the 4 pipes joing to one.

now the MIL Elim. is still on its way, so we wil see how it is after i install that.

thanks again

~ mike
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some pics of my setup to help you guys out

1)
Attached Thumbnails Kamikaze Header-angle.jpg  
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry this one is a bit blurry but give you an idea of the nuts on my header....
Attached Thumbnails Kamikaze Header-side-nuts.jpg  
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

A view of the header as a whole...
Attached Thumbnails Kamikaze Header-header.jpg  
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

slightly different angle/view of the nut and o2 point.
Attached Thumbnails Kamikaze Header-nut-o2.jpg  
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

nice pics. hey what are the gains from the header+DP, like the intake manifold is like 5%. so is the header like 6%?
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by IILANCERII02
hey steve just got my car back - seems a little jumpier was flooring it around and didnt notice the gas guage go down so we may be set for a while.

as for resetting the ECU - still need to do that. I tried but i couldnt get the neg terminal off, it was hard for me, or i dont have the right tools. so i still need to do that either later tonight or tomorrow sometime. and then will let u know for sure how it is.

thanks for the help. As for the wire - they did lengthen it some, not a whole lot but a little and its ya pretty much right after the 4 pipes joing to one.

now the MIL Elim. is still on its way, so we wil see how it is after i install that.

thanks again

~ mike
Good deal, you should be back on the road to a well car again here .

To get the terminal off I think you just need a 10 mil wrench, or a crescent wrench works too... loosen that bad boy up a lot... and then wiggle it loose... it can sometimes be kind of corroded on there... just be very careful not to have the wrench hit the other terminal while you are working on the negative... that can get very bad!

That would be about it... keep us informed so that the thread has a happy ending or something...
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

my o2 sensor is a little lower down than yours - is that ok? ill try and take some pics when i open my hood again either later tonight if i get this homework done, or tomorrow after school if its still a little nice out like today

but as of right now we are on track for a happy ending
Old Feb 4, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

yep lower is ok.. as long as it is only like 6 inches or so.. if you get down to the bend in the dp then you are starting to get too cold basically.. which can cause problems.. but should be fine.

As far as gains... should be between 10 and 18 hp... I'm getting dynoed in the next month.. as soon as it is a bit warmer (dyno is outside)... which is 10 to 18% essentially.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

thats awesome. as i recall we have pretty much the same set up as far as mod's go. So i cant wait for you to get your car dyno'd.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

steve - i just floored it around for about 1/2 hour and my, its alot better now i've noticed. I was going around with the silencer in which is supposed to be low end torque i've heard. but still when i floored it the top end was insane, it pulled so much harder. So im going to try again sometime tomorrow with the silencer out and hopefully it will eb even better.

As for gas mileage - it seems a little better now, not a whole lot though. I think that your gas mileage is still so much better because i was looking in the pics in your member profile and you have a resonator and a cat am i right? i think since your exhuast isnt as open as mine is your mpg is still very high because as i re-call my gas mileage didnt get worse untill i started opening it up, hence the 2.25" and then the test pipe and then the headers. so save yourself and dont get the test pipe or else i think you will fall in the pit with me lol

Old Feb 4, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I never ever plan on running a test pipe .

My exhaust is straight through though.. the magnaflows I have on there you can look right through them. They are just perforated... so it is VERY open... Your car probably has not fully recovered from running open loop. And if you were flooring it bunches that isn't going to help a whole lot either .

I'll have to argue against the silencer giving any kind of help for torque... did a big discussion on that whole deal... there is a thread that is sticked in Engine tech with my name on it.. about backpressure... that'll explain a lot. I have a number of sticked threads that are worth some reading to get a really good understanding on how engines run and what does or doesn't effect them etc in reference to exhaust and fuel and basics.

I still get nearly 30 mpg on the highway.. but with my driving around 20 or so in the city.. sometimes as low as 17.

Later,

Steve
Old Feb 5, 2004, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Ya - your probably better off never running a test pipe, i know once it gets warmer over here in the mid west i will be running a hi-flow cat instead.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by sdhotwn
Sorry this one is a bit blurry but give you an idea of the nuts on my header....
yes that nut seem to be the same size that ive used but fell off after some good runs on the expressway. Now i got bigger nuts with lock washers, I hope it'll solve the problem. Ill go back on the expressway and take it to a 80 Miles test drive this weekend, I hope the whole headers will still be intact when im done
Old Feb 5, 2004, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

I've got those bad boys torqued down awfully awfully tight.. more or less as tight as I could possibly get them using a 3/8" ratchet with a foot extension on it.. with someone holding the top for me.. But everything was tight... and it sees plenty of rough roads and hard shifts...

Quick Reply: Kamikaze Header