Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Kamikaze Header

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you can see (if you can) the nut im using is a relatively longer nut. It wraps the whole bolt till the tip, also put the lock washers, would this help? this was all impact wrenched in so i guess their pretty tight.
Attached Thumbnails Kamikaze Header-nut1.jpg  
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

using and impact wrench to tighten things is a BAD idea about 95% of the time... strips bolts too easily.. especially ones this small.. keep in mind an impact wrench goes to about 300ft-lbs of torque!!! I torqued mine probably to around 40 ft-lbs.

The lock washers should do the trick... You'll have to keep an eye on things...
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

I'll do that.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

hwo do u know how many foot - lbs of torque u get when tightening the thing?

ps - i think i found a leak near the muffler of my exhaust, so im going to check on that after the snow and see whats i find
Old Feb 5, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Torque wrench

Man you are having issues! LOL..
hope it works out ok/doesn't cost much. If it's the weld.. take it to the place that did it and make them do it for free. It would be their fault.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

oh ya definatly, if it had a leak because of the people who did it, im definatly *****ing at them beacuse they should do it right the first time, no doubt. Dont worry steve, im not that dumb lol
Old Feb 7, 2004, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

- i havent checked anything for sure yet, but i am leadign to think there is a leak.

If i changed out everything and to find out there is a leak im goign to be very very angry!
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Guess what happened to me

I could hear an exhaust leak.. I noticed it particularily after going through a toll (those nice concrete walls really help you hear your exhaust ) and tried to figure out where it was.

Well it sounded like it was coming from the flex joint (great eh?) so I took it to CarX to have them peak at it since they give nice free estimates and will bring you in to look at your car when it is up. Well wasn't leaking at the flex (thankfully) turned out it was leaking at the mating between the DP and the header. The tech said it was the gasket.. and I mentall figured that couldn't be possible since the gasket is solid copper.. and that doesn't really just fall apart.. can't physically...

So to make a long story short... all 3 of my bolts were a bit loose, not by much, but just a hair. So I tightened those bad boys down again, and now it's all good again. So I guess the story is put on some lock washers, or keep checking and listening for issues at those bolts! Good thing the "lock nuts" really work eh?
Old Feb 16, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

same problem with mine, but eversince i put bigger nuts and lock washers, havent had any problems since.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well I made it like 3,000 miles or more on the first try.. I'm selling the car now, so not my problem eventually, but I'll warn the next owner.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

ya i have a mad leak, i found it though, its not to do with the header itself or anything, more less the whole exhaust piping.

Its kind of near the end of the exhuast, i keep taking it back into the same shop who did it all to being with, and they say they fix it, but i can still hear it. Funny how this exhaust shop is supposed to be the best around this naperville area ** Exhaust Works ** and they cant even ****ing fix their own mistakes, TISK TISK.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

aight so me and a buddy w/ a lancer who has the Kamikaze Header & Intake no CatBack exhaust raced. I got a Kamikaze, Intake, & Magnaflow CatBack exhaust...guess what, he beat me by 1/2 car length...so maybe it was me (bad driver?) so we switched cars...he drove my car and i drove his, same thing happened I smoked my own car!!! My friend said that with my set up (kamikaze + downpipe, Intake, Exhaust) It felt weak compared to his car. THIS IS FREAKIN UNBELIEVABLE!!! now my buddy is having second thoughts slappin his CatBack on coz of what happened.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

what size is your catback? And are they both MT, or AT?

There is variation between cars though too.. so it may have nothing to do with the catback.. he may just have a stronger car, or the ECU is running a different "learn"

Reset both cars and then re race them right then and there. no idles, no nothing. just go and see what happens then.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

i got a 2.25 Catback...running on 17" nitto z rated tires do you think may have to do with it?
Old Feb 20, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

both manuals too...also noticed I spun too much on 1st @ 4K that may have shifted second too soon than he did coz of high RPM (6K). Also spun like crazy on 2nd...Drove his car only spun during launch and minimal spin on second his got stock tires and I had a 40lbs system on my trunk and he has a fiberglass hood. does this little amount of weight difference matter?

Last edited by Punk8981; Feb 20, 2004 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Kamikaze Header