Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Exhaust system for Lancer 05

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust system for Lancer 05

Hi Guys,
My 05 Lancer ES is running on K&N SRI and exhaust consists of stock header + RRM hi-flow cat + customer piping/14" resonator + Marco Cannister (a malaysian Exhaust manufacturer). So far I have seen little performance improve (of course ) but the sound is terribly loud and cop keeps starring at me whenever I drive pass.

I'm thinking of getting another set up and deciding between the Apexi WS2 and managflow 14829 muffler. Which one is quiter with lesser drop in performance? I will also need to get a longer/bigger resonator which is another choice between the Magnaflow one and the Vibrant Ultra Quiet. ANyone has any experience with this? I checked on youtube and found a couple of vid but sound quality wasnt good. I want a low deep tone which is quiet for 2,000 rpm and below and kicks in once I go hard on the pedal. No droning would be perfect.
Also 2.25" is the biggest pipiing I should go with right?

Any help is mostly welcome. Thanks

Last edited by Richievn; Feb 23, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i wouldn't suggest going any larger than 2.25" anywhere...to be honest, you're not going to notice much if any change in performance by swapping mufflers...and how loud is it? if you're not breaking any noise laws, let them stare...

but any "performance" muffler will be less restrictive, and free flowing, so it's going to be loud...i have a CherryBomb Turbo...stupid name but it's a pretty nice muffler for the grand total of $40, and sounds great...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

ive got a greddy evo2 cat back and its sounds great. its has a nice deep tone and its not to loud. even with having headers straght pipe its not really that loud.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
i wouldn't suggest going any larger than 2.25" anywhere...to be honest, you're not going to notice much if any change in performance by swapping mufflers...and how loud is it? if you're not breaking any noise laws, let them stare...

but any "performance" muffler will be less restrictive, and free flowing, so it's going to be loud...i have a CherryBomb Turbo...stupid name but it's a pretty nice muffler for the grand total of $40, and sounds great...

i have a cherrybomb in my closet that im getting put on soon
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:31 PM

I would recommend magnaflow.
I have the magnaflow cat back with same muffler listed and with no resonator, high flow cat, and 4-2-1 headers it still isnt loud but still not restrictive either
Old Mar 3, 2012, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I had a magnaflow on my 05 es. Keep the piping to 2.25". The magnaflow will be nice and will not take away any performance from it. Nice and quiet until you step on it and then its get a louder but not like a fart can. Very deep tone to it.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by slatermvp
I had a magnaflow on my 05 es. Keep the piping to 2.25". The magnaflow will be nice and will not take away any performance from it. Nice and quiet until you step on it and then its get a louder but not like a fart can. Very deep tone to it.
Yeh u took the next post right out my brain. lol
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also all for magnaflow. I am turbo so my tone is different but I am running full 3" TBE no cats with full race magnaflow muffler. Its a little louder than I would like but cruising through town is no thing I can keep it quiet if I want to. I have gotten lots of complements on my exhaust it sounds very good real deep and throaty no high pitch through any rpm range.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
I am also all for magnaflow. I am turbo so my tone is different but I am running full 3" TBE no cats with full race magnaflow muffler. Its a little louder than I would like but cruising through town is no thing I can keep it quiet if I want to. I have gotten lots of complements on my exhaust it sounds very good real deep and throaty no high pitch through any rpm range.
I thought the magnaflow exhaust where loud.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krisgoodwin84
I thought the magnaflow exhaust where loud.
A little louder than I prefer but not bad. The turbo muffles it down quite a bit. The exhaust note itself is pretty bad *** I think.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
A little louder than I prefer but not bad. The turbo muffles it down quite a bit. The exhaust note itself is pretty bad *** I think.
well ive only heard only one lancer with there exhaust witch was ryancb, and i know his was loud as hell even with his turbo. but he did say your was quiter then his.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:31 PM

if i knew how i would post a clip of my magnaflow exhaust
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Know how to use YouTube?