Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Car won't start, clicking when turning key

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start, clicking when turning key

I've been having the same issue occur to me intermittently on my 2003 lancer OZ

The car wont start, all I get is a click when turning the key, there is no continuous click, just one when turning all the way. I did the following recently which has worked:

- disconect clutch witch all together
- started using the spare key (in case the original is too worn down for a proper connection)
- new battery
- new alternator
- new spark plugs

It has been working fine for months, but this morning, once again the clicking sound. After 15 minutes of trying it finally started.

The only thing I can think of is the starter.

How can I check to see if it is the starter?
What is the solenoid and how does it relate to the starter? Should I check the solenoid first and then starter, or do they both work together?

I know the car has 280,000 km, but it has never given me trouble, I'm just assuming its age on parts that is slowly giving me issues.

Wojtek
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:50 AM

I had to replace my starter on my 03 OZ at 97k because this happened.
Would continually not start and id have to try over and over and then one day just gave out. Only cost me 80$. Not too bad.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

You prob have a bad starter or the connections to your starter are loose. Double check that everything is tight and if so, have someone try to start the car while you lightly tap on the starter with a hammer.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The starter is easily removed. Does canada have any oreily auto part stores? Mine in my small little town has a computerized machine you can bring starters and alternators in and they will test them free. Worst case is you need a new starter. You can also check out the starter contacts located under the cover on the backside of the starter. If the two contacts inside are badly worn this is most likely your problem and if you have a shop nearby that works with electrical you should be able to buy new contacts for under $10.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:36 PM

Thank you all for your insight

Since the post, and all weekend long I had no issues with the starter. I called around different auto parts stores in the greater Toronto area, and the lowest price for a starter (rebuild) is $220 Canadian. I’ve decided to remove the starter sometime this week and have it tested at Canadian Tire. I hate to spend that amount of money for something that may not be broken.

Does anyone know a decent parts store in Toronto area in case I do need a new starter?

Wojtek