Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine Rebuild (STOCK)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Rebuild (STOCK)

Hey guys, in a few months I want to rebuild my 06 ES lancer engine with a stock master kit. Has anyone else done this and know a good website to buy it from? Or am I better off going to a local "mom and pop" parts store(or will they even have it). I originally wanted to build it back up for speed, but recent searching on the board has found that there isn't much you can do to this engine. I want to rebuild and clean up the whole car to try to turn a profit, which will be used on a ralliart, most likely to build...if not a v8 camaro . Any advice is appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

fairly sure your not talking about a real rebuild since mentioning order online. A rebuild involves machine work and whatnot. If your just going to sell it id save your money unless it doesn't run. Mitsu's arent known for the resale value.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 01:16 AM

I know there is machine work POSSIBLY involved,seeing as how there is currently 0 problems with the engine. I don't know much, but I am pretty sure a car with 15,000 miles (after break in procedures) is worth WAY more than one with 150,000. I completely know what I am doing, have automotive applied science degree at NEIT, not just some backyard mechanic with no idea what he is talking about. The parts for a master engine rebuilders kit are generally purchased online. I am simply asking for a reliable source for one of these websites for our cars.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

I hate to break it to you but even in mint condition that car is worth less then 10k. A proper motor job will run you at least 2k. You would want to machine it if your replacing pistons, bearings, etc. Also if it only has 15k why the hell are you touching the engine? Unless there is some outside factor your not making any sense. But since you seem to know everything i guess you already know where to buy parts for our cars so have fun.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ryan is correct. Even with really low miles they are not worth much. If the engine now has 0 problems why rebuild? The value will not go up enough to compensate you for the time and effort. Not trying to beat you up its just a simple truth. Now if there really is an issue with the engine hence the reason for rebuilding it and If your looking for a profit on a stock ES I would say the best bang for your buck is going to be to get a salvage engine they can be had for cheap then slap it in there and sell the car. They are not worth much so the cheaper you can get it on the road the better. Then take the original engine and sell off the good parts.

Last edited by 03lances; Sep 2, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 04:56 PM

If the value goes up more than the price of parts it is worth my time. I actually enjoy working on engines in my free time, so the whole "time and effort" argument is irrelevant. I'm not looking to profit off my car, I have owned it for three years and have gotten well more than my moneys worth out of it already. I just want it to be worth more money than it is currently, not more than i originally paid 100,000 miles ago. Also, I can resell the worn, but still in spec engine parts as well. I didn't come here for some sort of discouragement, I came to find someone who has done a stock rebuild and could offer a reliable source for parts.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Look all we are doing is telling you from experience. If you dont want honest answers or our opinions then dont post it. Nobody is attacking or judging you dont be so defensive jebus.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

so now it as over 100k....That just lowered your resale 2 5k.... so yeah www.mitsubishiparts.net for parts.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jimbowned
Hey guys, in a few months I want to rebuild my 06 ES lancer engine with a stock master kit. Has anyone else done this and know a good website to buy it from? Or am I better off going to a local "mom and pop" parts store(or will they even have it). I originally wanted to build it back up for speed, but recent searching on the board has found that there isn't much you can do to this engine. I want to rebuild and clean up the whole car to try to turn a profit, which will be used on a ralliart, most likely to build...if not a v8 camaro . Any advice is appreciated.
Btw yes you did say you wanted to profit. Perfectly alright so why defend yourself when all I did was restate what you wanted to do...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if it's not leaking from the seams you don't need an overhaul (not a rebuild)...A car is not real estate, they just get less valuable, until they become rare...

myself, i have not had to do a complete overhaul, though on my Ralliart i did rebuild and overhaul the head, had the deck machined, i had the valves all reseated and lapped, new valve guides etc. The overhaul portion is just replacing all the seals and gaskets. I replaced all the timing components, as well as the transmission bearings and seals...An overhaul is not a rebuild, and even without machining, you're looking at a fairly hefty sum...

if you're really set on it, download mitsubishi ASA from mitsubishilinks.com, this is the north american aftersales application, has all the exploded diagrams for all mitsu vehicles and you just click the parts you want and it'll give you the part number, then you take those part numbers to mitsubishiparts.net....for a complete engine overhaul, i would bet it would be at least $1,500 in parts...there are parts numbers for upper, lower and complete overhaul kits...this includes every seal/gasket in the entire engine...

but again if it's not leaking why bother...and once you pull the head, it may require machining before you can put it back on...i'm with the the other guys, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...if you want to be nice to the next owner, replace water pump and timing belt if it hasn't been done yet, and make sure braking and suspension components are good to go...otherwise you're not increasing value, the odometer doesn't change(can be done but is illegal)...a rebuild and overhaul is maintenance/repair, there's still that many miles on the engine and tranny...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 3, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

So, would it be better to swap the engine with a "newer" one or would it be more beneficial to rebuild the engine in the long run? (for 02-03 models 4G94)

also, I have the same question above but for the 02-03 5-speed transmission.

I am looking to keep my car for a considerable period of time but my third gear grinds which I can't stand. The motor could more than likely use some work or a rebuild but I can't decide what to do!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
transmission overhauls are not terribly expensive if you can do the work your self...internal engine work requires machining...that's expensive...for the transmission, if it's only one gear grinding, unless it's really bad and you've damaged the gear, rings and springs are cheap...for parts i would say synchro plus bearings, and seals maybe $2-300
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

it likely would be cheaper to get a junkyard trans and swap it. When my ISB went it was a pain in the sense of trying to rush through it. Granted 03 did most of the work on mine and i just supervised ....you will need to goto a shop if you dont want to kill yourself trying to press stuff on/off the in/output shafts. The shop we went to didnt even charge me to press the new isb on but i cant see it costing more then $20 if you have it out and the new part and ready to go.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With proper oil maintenance, the bearings, cylinder walls, and rings should still look pretty much like new at 200,000 miles. Anything made of rubber, of course, like seals, belts, and gaskets, will be well over its service life by then. Worry about those, not internal engine parts. Is the cam/crank seal original? Radiator hoses? Vacuum hoses? Valve cover gasket?