Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Air Filters/air Intake

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Filters/air Intake

Hi there. I need some advise here. I wanna get some extra HP, so I´ve heard the easy way to do it is putting a new air filter. But, after searchis some sites, I am woundering wich I is the best choice (best= not too expensive + less changes to the engine)

1)Short Ram Air filter
2)Cold Air, intake system
3)Complete Cold Air, intake system
4)Simply replace my standar air filter for a K&N race filter (for example)

THXS
Old Feb 3, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

the least change will be realized with just a drop in, but that's probably the cheapest route. SRI would be next in gains vs cost. and full on cold air would run 3rd. (IE= Biggest gains, but biggest cost/most change)
Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:44 PM

Good tips, but tell me. I´ve read that for a full cold air intake you should change your battery position or bend the tube. What about, short ram intake? Can you suggest me some brand and model that fits to a 99 Lancer without any modifications needed?

TXS
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

The AEM CAI does not require relocation of the battery, it takes about 20-30 min to install. All the required hardware is included, the only thing you have to reuse is the MAS.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

it's also a harder install than the sri, requires u to take out some panels and even the wheel I think
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

cold air intake is definitely a harder install than a short ram. the cases where battery relocation, tubing are required is on automatics, but that's with the 02-03 lancers. not sure about a 99. if aem (or any other company for that matter) makes a cold air intake for your car, i would definitely get that. yes it costs more, but the power gains are better. the changes to your engine are basically required if you want to up performance. and if you have an obd2 mas, then the ecu will adjust to the mod.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

The cheapest would be to buy the MAS adapter plate and filter from me for $15 plus shipping.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Cold Air is defintily the best route for performance I've got the Injen RD devision CAI, and I'm very happy with it. Install wasn't to hard did need to take off wheel and bumper through but it was worth it.,
Old Feb 6, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by eldanoloco
The AEM CAI does not require relocation of the battery, it takes about 20-30 min to install. All the required hardware is included, the only thing you have to reuse is the MAS.
There a lots AEM CAI models, wich one is the one that fits right to my 99 lancer?

TXS
Old Feb 7, 2004, 01:12 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have a pic of your engine bay? And which engine code is yours? This would help us determine if you'd be best trying a US Lancer intake or perhaps one from a US Mirage.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

My Point of View:

If your area rains a lot, u might consider a SRI.
But if u live in an area where it hardly rains, it's best to go with CAI.
Replacing an air filter is the least change to your engine, other than that, u have to take some stock parts out.

To prepare myself when it rains and not to be too panic, i would get a SRI w/heatshield (based on where i live) that includes K&N filter which improves fuel economy but if i want to save more money on gas i could always get a Tornado Fuel Saver.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

I also have the Injen RD CAI and I love it, it also wasnt that hard to put in at all. The instructions that came with it kinda sucked but theres very good installation help posts in this site.

P.S Its also the first performance part I ever installed and it was ez to install... UH-OH... I got the performance '''itch'''

Last edited by HeavensMist; Feb 11, 2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:07 PM

I tried to read more about that bypass valve that AEM makes...does this decrease performance on the intake? I assume that it would but better to be safe than sorry!
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

It does decrease perfomance by 3 or 4 ponies.....

I've got one for sale, if you are interested.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by urbanknight
Do you have a pic of your engine bay? And which engine code is yours? This would help us determine if you'd be best trying a US Lancer intake or perhaps one from a US Mirage.
Ok, my engine code is: 4G92.
I´m trying to get a digital cam to post a picture.

Quick Reply: Air Filters/air Intake