Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Dohc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 09:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by AirQuez
Dont forget about the 4G92 MIVEC head DOHC and the 4G91 DOHC head as well. They are viable options for our 4G9x families....
I've never seen anyone part a 4g92 so you'd prolly have to buy the whole motor....at which point, why not just swap it?

I have no info on the 4g91. Care to fill me in on this one?

I'm assuming you're bringing some 'Rage knowledge to the table. I'd very much like to hear more, but I'm still failing to see the practicality behind the DOHC conversion.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Im glad some others around here posted that changing the head from SOHC to DOHC will not increase horsepower. Perhaps some people here should look at what happens in an IC engine. (internal combustion) Cams spin on the top of the engine (the OH part of SOHC and DOHC, Over Head) and the cam lobes contact a rocker/spring mechanism which actuates the vaves that allow the fuel/air mixture in and exhaust gases out. Adding another cam shaft will just allow some of the cams to be run by a new shaft. Nothing will change in terms of performance. If the cam lobes were different, then yes. But a new cam could be ground for our current SOHC engines as well.

A waste of money, but if you feel the need to slap a new head on the block, I will be impressed to see you get it working.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

I've never seen anyone part a 4g92 so you'd prolly have to buy the whole motor....at which point, why not just swap it?

I have no info on the 4g91. Care to fill me in on this one?

I'm assuming you're bringing some 'Rage knowledge to the table. I'd very much like to hear more, but I'm still failing to see the practicality behind the DOHC conversion.
I have seen personally but one person overseas willing to sell the head of a 4G92 (and its necessary aprts of course) and not the bottom end. A 4G92 swap would be nice, but, assuming you could afford the engine (which is not too too bad), then a 2.0 MIVEC sounds better to me than the 1.6L MIVEC. At this point tho, I am just proposing options. Like you said, i am not a true Lancer guy, but a 'Rager trying to understand and bridge the gap between our two cousin engines.

4G91 is the 1.5 which was offered in 2 flavours: the SOHC and the DOHC. I had the pleasure of seeing the DOHC in person. At first, I thought it was the 4G15 DOHC but on closer inspection , I realized that it was a 4G91 DOHC. There are tons of them in the Caribbean islands (at least where I was born and raised) but them the problem of importation again comes in.

As yo usaid, the practicality of the DOHC swap is elusive. One: because those DOHC engines (esp. the DOHC G93 and G93T) are so damn hard to find. Two: you have to import them and are at the mercy of customs. Three: you could find some other ways to spend the moeny to make power. there is no question, because of the more points to tune, that a DOHC is capable of more power than a SOHC but the SOHC can be turned into a veritable beast.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

The plain and simple version of the issue is that DOHC does not generate anymore power than SOHC. No difference in power output whatesoever. The DIFFERENCE is that a DOHC can essentially be tuned somewhat more accurately, and the grinds are typically simpler/cheaper (only 8 lobes per cam instead of 16).

So your swap will get you nothing. If you want 50 hp for 2000 bucks go and get a fuel fuel management system, spend a lot of time tuning the timing and fuel mixtures to very accurate settings and you'll probably get close to your 50 hp... well.. probably more like 30.. but still a lot for doing essentially "nothing" to the engine.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Your intake, exhaust and overlap can better be suited to your car's needs for sure. It's not even that I don't see ANY benefit to a dual cam car. I mean, they're obviously superior in overall design and potential power output HOWEVER the issue is really practicality and availability. Believe me, if these motors were easy to find I would have done this already. Lord knows I've spent plenty of time behind the scenes looking.

Thanks for the info on the 4g91, Air. That's awesome to know, and I love gettin' help from the Ragers. You guys brought us untold info on both the 4g94 and 4g93 (mostly thanks to Geo, DiaM and bahamut as well as a handful of other contributors), and all your insight and input is more than welcome.

A DOHC swap makes awesome sense if you are heavily modding a SOHC 4g64, or something like that where the parts are readily available, but in the case of the Lancer it's just an expensive show mod for the most part. If anyone does go through with this...welcome to the world of standalone engine management. I wanna know who helps you with your tuning or what you do...cuz I could prolly learn a lot from you. (seriously).
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Well, a G93 DOHC NA will make as much power as the last gen 'tegra GS. Since Mitsu like to create TQ, it'll be very close in the 135-140 HP w/ globs of TQ or competing directly w/ a 4g64.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

If you want dual, just swap the whole motor, harness amd ECU....
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

how much wouyld a swap be? where can i get it done, and what engine would be best.

just wondering.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Don't even bother. For the amount of bother involved you'll be better off doing a full engine swap. It's just as difficult and you have the potential for greater power gains.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by thereasonsf3
how much wouyld a swap be? where can i get it done, and what engine would be best.

just wondering.
I don't think you have read anything that the previous posters had posted.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

ok. lol. thanks for all the posts n stuff. i do/did realize that the ecu would be a key factor in getting the dohc to work on our car. the idea just sounded nice to me. the mechanic side of me says that in the end it will let me have a lot more power but in the end it comes down to the cost. does the cost outweigh the benifits? i made this thread to see if anyone had any ideas that could answer that question. the answer i am gettin seems to be no, its way to expensive and there are no real direct drop ins readily available. i mainly wanted this because i know its easier to tune and what not. plus i also know that when building a NA engine its all about cams and pressure. with the right combo you can get some pretty sick results. i do know that in the end i am gonna get a turbo but thats a while away.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by bahamut

I don't think you have read anything that the previous posters had posted.
do you know how many times i've stopped myself from saying that?
Old Feb 12, 2004, 01:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by tenkawa_akito

do you know how many times i've stopped myself from saying that?
Almost as many as me?

I may have an idea, but I'm gonna have to go back to the research stages.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

get back to me once you've finished the prelim report.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Quick Reply: Dohc