Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

difference between wideband and narrowband

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ya ture...didnt think about that
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

depends on what you meant by "run with" eManage.... if you meant to tune the thing, you're gonna need a wideband. rhyzin and I had discussed this over PMs and sorta came to the conclusions that you'll find a lot of places:
Wideband is great for actual AFR tuning and telling you if there's something wrong or where it could be better.
narrowband gages are really only good at telling you when you're about to blow up.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:18 PM
EvoM Guru

^yup
i'd recommend making sure that the wideband sensor has a narrowband output so you can wire it up to the ecu so you don't get a cel(if you replace a stock o2 sensor instead of welding a new bung for the wideband). the wideband o2 controller should also have a wideband output so you can hook it up to a wideband gauge or an emanage/stand-alone for datalogging. some wideband sensors/controllers don't come with these features.

the wideband sensor used for logging my runs was actually a gas analyzer. more accurate than wideband o2 sensors.

i'm probably gonna get a plxdevices.com o2 sensor in the future. here's a list of other ones:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/parts/default.php?cPath=3_126
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

I think I've seen that before.... I didn't see a datalogging feature, is that an optional harness?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:20 PM
EvoM Guru

you actually hook the wideband to the pressure sensor input of the emanage. since you can show voltage from that input in real time, it can be logged. of course the switch off would be you can't have the o2 sensor and pressure sensor on at the same time if you decide to get both. what sucks is that you can't convert the voltage into a ratio, so you're gonna have to be thinking in voltage while tuning.

there should be a button on the tool bar of the program for "real time display." you can then display info from the harnesses you've installed.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

yes i would be getting it to be able to tune the afr. thanks for the info guys. glad to see there are cheaper routes liek with the plx.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:55 AM

just want to make sure I'm getting this. It would be better to change out the O2 sensors with wide band sensors due to cleaner and more exact readings?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

basically, but i dont know if you really have a need for it at this point. its more for if oyu are wanting to tune your car.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

A stock computer can't read wideband sensors, so if you are using a piggyback you have to stick with narrowband sensors. Otherwise, for the tuning software (greddy etc) if it can read a wideband sensor then you can add another bung and drop that sensor in the exhaust and take readings that way. Past that, use whatever wideband you want that is a known item. (UEGO, Greddy, AEM, PLX, etc) as they are all pretty much about even in accuracy. Then you just have to worry about features like on board logging, narrowband and wideband simulated outputs etc... if you buy one like the PLX that has narrowband output THEN you can replace your stock, O2 sensor and then wire the signal so the ECU sees the narrowband output signal from the PLX>

But otherwise, there is no reason for a wideband unless you have adjustable engine managment for altering your fuel mixtures.

Later

Steve
Old Dec 14, 2004, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

yup which i will be doing, thanks steve. god to hear the SES light can be kept from coming on.