Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Babyboba got hydrolocked...what to do!?!?!? experts, please post!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's the deal now. when it was parked on the street, the engine idled pretty rough and would shut off. after the flat bed cam and angled it up at a 45 degree angle to put it on the bed, the engine started to idle smoothly. in fact, it was so smooth, i didn't even feel that the engine was even on. when it was dropped at the mitsu dealer, i started it again to check and it purred like a cat...whats up with this phenomenon.

but to make sure, they are gonna flush out the engine oil using vacuum pressure which is gonna cost me $130 something. they gave me the option of doing a compression check for $95..is this really neccessary? any other precautionary things i need to do to prevent long term damages??
Old Feb 27, 2004, 12:12 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

you might as well do the compression test. better safe than sorry. i dont really thing you'll have to do anything after, they should take care of everything. especially with the vaccum pressure. just make sure to ask them for any suggestions.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

taht **** happened to me yesterday my car stalled cause i went over a puddle. it happens alot to me cause of my turbo i think but most of the time it will just bogg out and i will rev it and it will go again but this time it stalled completley. i waited like 2 minutes and started it again and drove it home and let it run for like 30 mins and revving it a few times. the next day i drove it and it tried to bog out when i first drove but i just smashed and it went away but my check engine light came on. so i disc. my battery and then drove it some more and its fine now i just had to get the water out i guess??
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe the exhaust system is full of water. That would explain why it ran OK on the rollback but not while sitting level.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Water in the exhaust wouldn't really matter much. It'd mostly pour out and what diddn't would evaporate quickly from the constantly moving flow of gas and heat.

You probably just got some water in there. You'll prolly be ok, but you may wanna get that compression test to be on the safe side. Think of it as $95 in preventative monitoring that could save you the cost of your car or a motor in the long run.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm installing my AEM CAI next week and didn't get the bypass valve but now after reading all these horror stories, I want a valve. I live in teh Northwest and it rains tons there, and I don't want to have to worry about my engine dying everytime I hit a puddle. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a bypass valve?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where can I buy a by pass valve from? how much is it? Do they make a different one for every single brand of intake or they are universal?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

rayabedi,

I bought my bypass valve from the ebay seller I bought my AEM intake from. He shipped it with my CAI so I didn't have to pay for seperate shipping. It cost me $45. I haven't put mine in yet cuz you have to saw your brand new pipe in half, which makes me a little hesistant. As for a universal valve, I don't think there is one, but I am sure you could do a search. Ebay has great deals for them. Hope that helps
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Z_Lancer_Man
I bought my bypass valve from the ebay seller I bought my AEM intake from. He shipped it with my CAI so I didn't have to pay for seperate shipping. It cost me $45. I haven't put mine in yet cuz you have to saw your brand new pipe in half, which makes me a little hesistant. As for a universal valve, I don't think there is one, but I am sure you could do a search. Ebay has great deals for them. Hope that helps
Could you post a pic and or the thread to where you got it from ebay? would be much appreciative!
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the link to the sale I made from them on eBay. I did a quick search and it didn't look like he was selling any at the moment, but I may have missed them. Hope this helps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:EOT:US:3
Old Mar 16, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have an AEM bypass valve for sale. 40 bucks shipped and it is yours. Had it on the car for about 10 miles.

I tried to be lazy and not cut the intake pipe, but that did not work and I was not about to cut my investment in two.