Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Understanding turbo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope that helps, good night.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

that helps a lot
thx man
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

i phoned the guy at the dealer today, he said that the turbo from the dealer will be from Greddy, i dont know if thats good or not
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

what about the exhaust? do i have to get an exhaust turbo? or magnaflow catback is good enough
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by fkrzo
Most important- Boost, Air fuel, EGT. If you want theres lots of others that are good but not as important- oil pressure, water temp.
Air Fuel is worthless. Most cars use a 1v signal (on or off) to tell the ECU to increase of decrease the fuel amount being given to the engine. All an A/F guage can tell you is when the engine is running full rich or not. Unless you're at wide open throttle, it's nothing more than an expensive light show. A wideband O2 sensor and guage is much better since it can actually tell you specifically what the air/fuel ratio is.

Lancer-oz. Any cat-back system will be fine. A lot of people on these boards run 2.5" cat back systems and say it's the preferred system to run. Please do some research before you start buying anything to turbo your car. You really need to bone up on terminology and need to better understand the mechanics of a turbo. www.howstuffworks.com is an excellent site and covers the basics of how automobiles work. That book I mentioned earlier, "Maximum Boost" is written by one of the most knowlegable people on turbo chargers I know of.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

first of all, thanks a lot for your suggestions

i will look for that book in my university library tomorrow and i will also ask the guy at for more info about guages.

by the way, how much did ya'll pay for your turbo (parts+labour+etc) ?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

lancer oz Im at 4g's and keeps going up... if you dont want the headache of dealing with tuning and all that go rrm but if your really looking for a custom set up go for it but its going to be a pain in the butt, as most of us know already