Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

2009 GTS + RA Snorkel question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GTS + RA Snorkel question

Hi everyone,

Are there any risks/downsides to running a 2009 GTS with a Ralliart snorkel and K&N drop in filter without a tune? (e.g., screwed up MAF readings, system running lean, knocking) I've searched everywhere but haven't found an answer. Noob question I know but I just want to make sure it won't cause any engine damage before installing the RA snorkel.

Thanks!

Last edited by Khufu; Aug 17, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nah, don't worry about a thing.

I had this set up on my 09 es cvt with out touching the tune. this is a very mild difference from the stock setup, just less restrictive so its not going to hurt anything.

The only complaint i had was with the k&n filter itself. It's fine when it's new but then when you have to clean it, it's hard to get the right amount oil back on it evenly with the cleaning kit that you buy separately. The spray they include in the cleaning kit just soaks the filter completely wet or blotchy when you try to go slow. If i still had it i would of tried spraying all the oil in a spray bottle and mist the oil on rather than blast. too much oil can gum up the maf
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll probably install it this weekend. As for the filter, I have 2 of them (one dirty, one clean) so I'll have plenty of time for trial and error to get the right amount of oil on it. I was thinking about letting it drip the excess oil for a couple of days before sealing it in a bag for the next use.