Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Advice on mAkeing my Lancer GT A LIL MORE FUN!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on mAkeing my Lancer GT A LIL MORE FUN!

First off is like to apologize for any grammatical errors I post using my phone ... Secondly I'd like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong section..

So I recently sold my 05 EVo 8 Rs IN RAlly REd
And my 03 maZdaspeed protege that was fully built for the track and purchased a 2013 Gt for a great price my new job requires me to drive to and from work in hour traffic ... So a new car/gas saver was a must.

But this car lacks serious ***** .... So here's my delima I dont want to make this another race car I purposly got an cvt to avoid taking this to an extreme like my last cars lol...

But here is what I was thinking and my choices are somewhAt weird cuz if my need for things to match
RRM timing box (heard many mixed reviews i kno Rob and im 5min from
RRM intake
RRM axel back
RRM headers( idk only cuz I do not want to remove the cat)
RRM pully
No RRM split second I hate cutting into the Ecu harness but maybe a tune next door at RRE if mike w allows it lol...

Or dc sports intake
Dc sports headers (I like cuz the cat stays)
Dc sports axel back
Tune or ecu flash from works on 91!

I kno the dc sports stuff isn't the best but it's cost effective and it's not like ets or stm busher or ams make parts for our lancers lol.. Please show some love I'll post pics of my past cars
Old Sep 21, 2014, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RRM has been hit and miss for most guys outta state but for guys that are close to rrm, I hear nothing but accolades. This may have changed however, it's been awhile since I lurked the cali forums. If you can get hands on service from rrm/rre and don't mind paying a bit of a premium for their parts then go for it. If anything goes wrong, you'll have a place to take it back to rather than trying to fix it over the phone.

See if they can do a package deal for everything you want there including their CVT cooler. I would highly recommend any sort of additional cooling for the cvt, RRM or some other cobbled together system that works properly.

Or just mix and match how you see fit and get a good tune at rre. I would do this if i still had my lancer and lived in cali. Their parts were a bit pricey for my taste for what you get and the gains they claim.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:46 PM

I allways had great success with RRE when it came to my Evo but they have a gentlmens agreement on lancers RRM takes care of it... And I'm not to fond of split second newer ecus learn around the piggyback and Id like to kno what exactly is in the timing box iv read stories of the pulley causing leaks and there axel backs rusting and falling apart?

One thing is for sure car needs an intake and atleast an axel back with a tune
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:47 PM

Ahh a cvt cooler I remember reading that the sst gets tempermental and overheats at the track same goes for the cvt?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:52 PM

[URL=http://s451.photobucket.com/user/chubhawk/media/FA601D88-6DF5-43EA-A7B5-509E72C6B3E0.jpg.html][/

Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:53 PM

Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:55 PM

Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:56 PM

I'll post pics of my old Evo next
Old Sep 21, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

nice prote man. been thinking about getting one since they're all over my local CL for cheap.

Yeah, the cvt is a bit finicky even at stock power. I had to replace my cvt twice on my 09 lancer es. The 2nd time i had it replaced was because it kept overheating at highway speeds and went into limp mode. If you're going to do any moderate modification on a cvt lancer definitely get some sort of supplement cooling in addition to the stock cooler. And check the cvt fluid level and clarity regularly. To much fluid causes the tranny to overheat and too little has the same effect. Same thing if the fluid is too dirty

I had the rrm timing box and didn't get much power out of it. I got a 1 hp increase from a 110hp baseline dyno run. But your 2.4 lancer may react differently and im sure rrm can tweak it to get better performance.

Last edited by SYSTEMA; Sep 21, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:01 AM

Lol yeah my protege was fun sold it to s kid in Vegas car only had 75k miles on it kid blew the motor same day... All these cvt issues starting to scare me ?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

It's hard to tell if the 13s are going to have the same problems when it takes a few years problem trends to crop up, but I hope and assume mitsu got their s*** together by now.

Just make sure when ever you take it to get serviced, that they fill it right. I went back to my dealer after the first cvt replacement when i noticed that my fluid level was WAAAAY high. I mentioned it to them and they said everything was A-OK. After a month of riding with high fluid levels, it started over heating like i mention earlier and would whine pretty bad when i tried to overtake on the highway.

Sucks to hear that your protege was killed soon after you sold it. (sucks more for him lol) Guessing it was the kid's first turboed car lol.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:37 AM

gosh this for sale section is so hard to use it wont let me post anything is it down? i have the necessary post limit and my accoumt is 2 years old lol getting frustrated trying to sell an authentic greddy rs bov that sitting on my shelf