Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

MAF restriction

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2002, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MAF restriction

here is a question for you mitsu gurus has any body thought about the restriction of the maf its self?......That small square hole must be pretty restrictive (think nascar restrictor plates) Are there any mafs that may flow better and provide proper signal to the ECU?
Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

You can't mod the MAF's restrictor plate w/o using an AFC. Otherwise, at the 40 mile market, it will throw a CE light from running lean throughout the powerband.

If so, you still need more mods to justify buying +$300 AFC.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:01 PM

i cut out the honeycomb structure of the MAF of our '95 lancer and it worked fine. slightly more power because of less air impedance..
Old Aug 19, 2002, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by fatbastard555
i cut out the honeycomb structure of the MAF of our '95 lancer and it worked fine. slightly more power because of less air impedance..
I do believe your 95 MAF is a lot different than the modern MAF . . . You can probably use a MAF from the 2g GSX like the 1g GSX guys swapping their MAF for a better one.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I did a little research thinking that nissan and other asian car companies are using Bosch MAFs and alot of bosch MAFs share strikingly similar design from car line to car line.
I thought I may be able to use the body of a bad Mercedes sensor that has a 3" inlet/outlet,swap the sensor cartrige into to the other body, check the signal voltage out put and calibrate to the old one by flowing a referance amount of air through and adding a resistor to the signal wire.... But apon further inspection the mitsu MAF is not bosch and as far as I can tell is nothing I want to dink with. Oh well, off to find somthing else to blowup
Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

I think the gain you'd get is probably nothing compared to the trouble/cost/what could go wrong factor.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:00 AM

Street Lancer,
not here in manila, where every 2nd hand part is as cheap as bird poop.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Dude, that's great and all, but, we're not in Manilla. Someone needs to be the voice of caution/reason so some noob doesn't go start ripping up engine parts for a minor gain that could cost him a crap load considering the number of "second hand" parts are slim to none in the US.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:09 AM

well said!
but i can ship some to you guys if you want!
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

For the 4G94? I thought this was the first time that this engine had been out, but, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:20 AM

StreetLancer,
the 4G9x series of engines all have the same MAF n' engine block.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, aren't I a retard. Not. The engine block I was aware of, but, the thing is that there are several different minor engine components that aren't interchangeable between the 9 series block You know, little things... cylinders, valves, valvesprings... just minor stuff. To assume that the MAF also is the same? Kind of risky. And you just need my credit card number, right? (Unbreakable reference for all you kiddies).
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:32 AM

do i sense a tone of condescension?
actually the cylinders are interchangeable, all 4G9x engines have a bore of 81.00mm (correct me if i'm wrong) and actually if you can find a MIVEC head for it, it'll fit just fine.

sorry i don't want your credit card number. opens up the floodgate of paranoia.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

I'm in a ****ty mood. Hold on while I get the info on the bore of the Lancer. Okay, the bore x stroke on the 4G94 is 3.21 x 3.77, and the displacement is 1999cc. The 4G93 has bore x stroke is 3.19 x 3.50 with a displacement of 1834cc. Hence, the 4G94 is a bored out, horizontally flipped variant of the 4G93. So, the bore is different. Things change between variants of engines even though it is the same generation (4th) and block number (9). That's particularly why there hasn't been much discussion other than "it can't be done" as far as engine swaps go. Sorry, but, again, I think that alot of what you're talking about is conjecture, and based on assumptions... and when you're talking about doing stuff to engines, that can be down right dangerous.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Uh didnt mean to start a battle. I am a tech with 15 years of asian and german import experiance. I know where to stop and have already I just thought it might be an interesting little side experiment. useing old warrenty parts and the such to play DR. Frankenstein, no good though onto other things

Quick Reply: MAF restriction