Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

mas..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just going by what I've seen with my own eyes. If you're going by stock number, well the stock numbers don't necessarily have a one-to-one correspondance with the actual part.

Hacking the MAF isn't making you any more "over-lean" than sticking any other MAF would do. Regardless of what MAF you stick on there, you're going to have to compensate for it because the computer maps won't be accurate for the different amounts of actual airflow at any given MAF frequency.

edit: Of course, if your car does that nasty thing that a 3G does where it ignores airflow readings over a certain load ceiling then yeah, an over-lean situation could certainly result, given enough airflow (ie. biggie turbo).

I know one 4G64 3G Eclipse that is running with a moderately hacked MAF. It runs fine--with an S-AFC to compensate, naturally.

As for why the Evo VII can run the same MAF, well if the orifice isn't restricted, you have a lot of airflow through that darned thing. Check it out sometime--you can see how over-large the Lancer MAF is when compared to the actual cross-sectional area being allowed by the Lancer restrictor plate.

All a MAF does is output frequency based on how much airflow is being metered. As long as the thing is big enough, you shouldn't be able to overrun it. It's the ECU's job to decide what any given frequency corresponds to.

Regardless of how accurate my statement is about the MAFs being the same, the basic theory still applies. Hack open the MAF, and things change... a lot. It will impact driveability even with an S-AFC because the change is not as simple as having a single offset value on the entire fuel curve--the nature of the rate of change of airflow vs. MAF frequency changes as well. But it's "doable" just as it would be by going with a bigger MAF.

If you're heading into the "I wanna tweak with my airflow readings" world of tuning, then I don't see any reason why people shouldn't get brave with the dremel.

Uh... assuming you know what the heck you're doing, naturally.

Are we disagreeing?

Last edited by eslai; Aug 23, 2002 at 10:58 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

MAF # plays a big part which stuff can be swapped or not, besides pin connector.

Hacking MAF or replacing a slightly better one will need an AFC, the ecu has a certain conservative perimeter from the factory which is needed to be tuned for better throttle response and MPG sake.

The US spec NA Lancer doesn't use the E7's 4g63T MAF. I can PM an Evo owner to ask him of their Model #. I'm willing to bet it's the same as the 2g GSX . . . if it's a totally new one, I'll be amazed Mitsu didn't do some cost saving parts exchange between the E4 - 6.

Yes, I know the MAF is there to count air flow; then, it checks its performance perimeter/envelop from the ecu that was tuned from the factory. If it goes beyond its window, the ecu is confused and will throw a CE light . . . it's too hard to fight OBD2 system.

"I don't see any reason why people shouldn't get brave with the dremel" You mean TB or port matching intake manifold.

"Are we disagreeing?" I'm not disagreeing to get mad, because you have counterpointed me. I like tech talk, because it brings forth knowledge to others. It's up to their experience/wisdom of others to use its practically.

Look at my vehicle registry . . . I have most of my mods w/ AFC setting tuned to its performance. BTW: those pics are real and not taken off other people's sites . . . no eclipse drivers are going to tune their AFC that low in the negative at high throttle NA or TC . . . also give idle reading . . . don't worry about the O2 reading . . . it bounces around like it supposed to be.

It's 92% tuned at high throttle, but I'm having electrical gremlins killing my instrument cluster (can't match spd w/ O2 reading) . . . bad relay somewhere.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 12:59 AM

By "are we disagreeing" I meant that it doesn't really sound like we are. And no one's getting mad either.

If the only difference between part numbers is that the connector is different, then it's not too hard to get around that. If the voltage ranges are all the same for all the sensors (as can be well assured) then no biggie--kill the connector, re-wire things up.

Okay, well as far as the MAF goes, I don't have any pictures to show you, so I can't say "oh yeah! Well lookee here!!!", so I won't. Further proof will rise to support either you or I someday. The curious should start investigating, is all I'm saying. And I'm willing to bet that the EVO VII MAF is not the same as the 2G Eclipse.

And by "getting brave with the dremel" i was referring to the restrictor plate actually. Once again. _if_ you know what you're doing.

I don't need to look at your vehicle registry--I trust ya. I know I don't have much background here, but I can tell you that I drive a fairly-modified GS-T. Used to run an S-AFC setup with the throttle input reassigned to a 3-bar MAP sensor, but now am running an AEM EMS. Still fiddling with the bastard to get driveability perfect, but it makes good power.