Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

mas..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2002, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mas..

Would it be better to get an Eclipse MAS? How easy or hard would that be to do? would I have to upgrade injectors? Would I run too rich?
Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old Aug 19, 2002, 07:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Different engine, different ECU, different MAS. I wouldn't recommend trying. More likely than not it'd be a waste of time and money. the 4g6x and the 4g9x are completely different families and I'd be seriously amazed if they used the same components in that respect.

Try doing a search for MAS and MAF threads. I can never find it, but I know it's on the forums SOMEWHERE. A guy damaged/removed his honeycomb and there was discussion of the possibility of swapping with similar models. Anyway all signs point to no.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Now I wouldn't say all that Hobie. The MAS is more than likely the same. ECU probably the same too just probably has a different program.

EDIT: That kid wanted to use the old style MAS unit as a replacement.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 07:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

First off we don't even know which gen Eclipse he wants to use. I haven't seen the 3g's, but it's entirely possible they're different than the 2g's or 1g's. It strikes me as odd that those parts would be interchangable. Anywho, I think the possible problems would outweigh any benefits changing the MAF would provide.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like the DSM mas. But, I don't think it will work because of the ecu's program difference.

Mike L.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't work to my liking, took the MAS off my 92 and my engine was like WTF?!
Thanks anyways guys.

Matt
Old Aug 20, 2002, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

That thread was started by me ...... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&threadid=7293 I did a little research thinking that nissan and other asian car companies are using Bosch MAFs and alot of bosch MAFs share strikingly similar design from car line to car line.
I thought I may be able to use the body of a bad Mercedes sensor that has a 3" inlet/outlet,swap the sensor cartrige into to the other body, check the signal voltage out put and calibrate to the old one by flowing a referance amount of air through and adding a resistor to the signal wire.... But apon further inspection the mitsu MAF is not bosch and as far as I can tell is nothing I want to dink with. Oh well, off to find somthing else to blowup
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, first off, the 1 and 2g GSX's MAF has a 6 pin connector that is too wide by 2 pins over the 5g mirage from 98-02 w/ the 1.8L and lancer. 1g GSX guys always used a donor 2g MAF but also have to use an AFC (common knowledge for them to upgrade). The 4g and 5g mirage (only the 97 - transition year between gen) has the the wider pins.

edit: I have misused my wording a bit . . . never meant the 2g guys downgrade to a smaller MAF.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 21, 2002 at 09:08 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

So basicly I'm out of luck on trying to do this mod?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by bahamut
Okay, first off, the 1 and 2g GSX's MAF has a 6 pin connector that is too wide by 2 pins over the 5g mirage from 98-02 w/ the 1.8L and lancer. 1g GSX guys always transplant their MAF to a 2g but also have to use an AFC (common knowledge for them to upgrade). The 4g and 5g mirage (only the 97 - transition year between gen) has the the wider pins.
Other way around. 2G MAF is swapped to the 1G from time to time.

If you did manage to wire it up properly, you'd definitely need some kind of fuel correction computer like an S-AFC or S-AFR to compensate for the different readings, just like if you were to hack out all those restrictions in your stock MAF.

Any reason why you guys want to go to biggie MAFs? You're not sucking enough air to warrant it, unless you're talking turbo.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

E, you're correct, and I have corrected my bad wording, not an error in my knowledge.

All of this stuff can be seen on www.vfaq.com . . . we, mirage guys, have been paying homage to the site for giving us so much info/R&D principles that Mitsu engineers never really dared to acknowledge. I just wish the 3g and the 3000GT guys share the same zeal for info on their cars . . . they seem to be stuck up for some odd reason for not helping other lesser Mitsu. DSM'ers to a lesser extent but not a general rule (the arrogance of "if you don't have a 4g63T, it's not worth to look or help out").

Right now, we're trying to look at the 3000GT's TB size and sensors for the 1.8L . . . no one really has accurate knowledge or its cost from a salvage yard. Heck, if it works out w/o idle surges, the Lancer guys/gals will surely benefit too!

Also, for the upgraded MAF, it's, IMO, a "poor man's version" trying to cheat the mod of TB upgrade w/ port matched intake manifold. It will help on the low end TQ and mid powerband w/ the upgrade MAF. A port matched TB w/ proper bliss and ISC adj-ment will increase HP throughout the powerband, especially WOT.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 21, 2002 at 10:33 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

For the modern smaller wire pin connector, your only solution is to use a MAF model #501 off a 4g64 or 6g72 (no matter what model or year).
Old Aug 22, 2002, 05:38 AM

The Lancer MAF is the same as a 3G 4-cyl (V6 too?) MAF is the same as an EVO VII MAF, with the only difference being the size of the restrictor plate they shove in each one. These boys here should have no reason to go to a bigger MAF--they can just take that restrictor out of theirs and either:

1. Replace it with the restrictor from a 3G or EVO.
2. Hack it to bits and size it however they wish.

Not saying y'all should go to town with this info, but start comparing and deciding for yourselves.

And I still can't imagine that it'd make that much of a difference--the car isn't pulling that much air. Maybe help throttle response? At the same time, having a hacked MAF signal incurs other driveability issues, so you're trading a good thing for a bad thing.

I hang out on www.eclipseforums.org a lot but I don't own a third-gen Eclipse. The atmosphere is different because, well, look at the car.

But they're getting a much better knowledge base now as far as performance goes. A good thing. These US lancer forums could probably learn a lot from the 3G guys, if they'd let them.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

"The Lancer MAF is the same as a 3G 4-cyl (V6 too?) "

That's not true. Modern NA MAF in Mitsu lineup has 2 MAF version. Conservative motor will have a restrictor plate while the bigger motor will not.

Here's the following link.
http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...&pagenumber=31

1) The Lancer's 4g94 + 5g Mirage's 4g93 from 98-02 uses the same MAF # 605.

2) 97 Mirag'se + 4g Mirage's 4g93 use MAF #449.

3) 2g GSX's MAF #165.

4) All 4g64 and 6g72 use MAF # 501. Unknown on the 6g72 TC version of the VR4?

5) 1g GSX + 3g Mirage's 4g61T share the same MAF . . . don't know its #.

Also, you cannot hack the restrictor plate w/o running extremely lean condition throughout the powerband. DIM has done that route, but he later fixed the problem using E-manage.

BTW: how can the E7 w/ the famed 4g63T use NA MAF off the US spec Lancer. That motor will die a miserable death trying to suck in more air than the MAF would allow. I'm guessing the Evo series would logically use the 2g GSX MAF.

Last edited by bahamut; Aug 24, 2002 at 06:34 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm not going to comment on the 3g guys.

Quick Reply: mas..