Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Headers with Emissions testings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headers with Emissions testings

so i live in IL, i have emissions testings, no visual crap just the smog test or whatever.

im gonna be buyin a header soon, probably kamikaze as its cheaper but wondering if i could pass the smog test with the header and a hi-flo cat...and if not..would 2 hi-flo cats work??

thanks
rich
Old Apr 3, 2004, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im pretty sure you cant put 2 hi flo cats on there cuz the first one is in the header. With only one hiflo i dont think you would pass. But you could put your stock cat back in but put it in backwards so the o2 sensor is towards the read and the cel doesnt come on. You should be able to pass smog then.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Borrow somebody's AFC and run your engine super lean for the test. Maybe that would work.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 08:04 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

From what I understand, the elements the first cat takes out aren't measured in most tests. Worse even, they haven't proven that it's even harmful to the environment! But I still agree, switch back to stock before the test just to be safe. If the hi flow cat is CARB, you can leave that on, but use the manifold for testing for sure.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

u mean put the stock headers back in for the testing?

yeah i plan on getting a Carb certified hi-flo cat...i was just wondering if i'd still pass emissions..if not when i get the headers and full header-back exhaust just wanna know if i should just get one or get 2 and hope it works,

i plan on getting my own s-afc soon when i get a fuel pump and fmu so i can tune fro either gas mileage or performance...never thought of doing it for the testing though, nice idea
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

is the smog test where they connect something to the car's computer to see the levels of whatever is in your exhaust gases? or is that where they hook up something to the exhaust?

cause when we took my mom's car to emissions, all they did was the gas cap test and connected something to the computer..
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

they connect something to car's computer i think and put something in the muffler
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:55 PM
EvoM Guru

running too lean makes oxides of nitrous. they'll check to see if your EGR valve is working. running too rich makes hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. my skool has a 5 gas analyzer and i dunno what the 2 other gasses are or the condition that creates them. stoic is the best A/F to be in under the sniff test but check to see what your state looks for.

fear obdIII
Old Apr 4, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

yeah they hooked a tube up to the end of the exhaust, and they got in the car and went 30 mph and 60 mph and they checked the gas cap.

i dunno..maybe ill just wire small resistors into the obdii sensors so it reads lower roflmao there we go! problem solved! ill get that auterra dynoscan tool and hook it up and see which wire it is that reads what they might read.. it'd be so cool lol
Old Apr 4, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

lol, that would be tyte if you figured that out, it save people money who have to pay big bucks for illegal tests
Old Apr 4, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

i think i remember reading that the cat piece in the header is to help limit emissions during cold start ups... the cat works better the warmer it gets and until it gets up to temp it wont do much... so as long as you car is nice and hot(and there is no visual check) you should be able to pass with an aftermarket header. Only one way to find out though.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
near all CEL lights will fail you in emmisions testing through the ECU...so if u have any casued be the header your going to install you may fail i would test it with the Headers on first...then if you fail...take them off...no big deal really

-Adam
Old Apr 5, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 03RallyLancer
i think i remember reading that the cat piece in the header is to help limit emissions during cold start ups... the cat works better the warmer it gets and until it gets up to temp it wont do much... so as long as you car is nice and hot(and there is no visual check) you should be able to pass with an aftermarket header. Only one way to find out though.
Exactly. The first cat is a pre-cat and it heats up real quick because it is closest to the manifold, all it does is lower your emissions untill the car is warmed up. Catalytic converters do not work untill they are hot. If you have the second cat and the car is hot I wouldn't worry about a thing. I think Lancers are rated as Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (ULEV) anyway so removing the manifold cat which is only there to work for the first 5 mins should not make or break an emissions test.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

sweet, ill try one hi-flo cat than and see what happens when testing comes around, thanks guys
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

i can tell you with absolute certanty that the first cat is useless in a standard smog test.

headers will always pass smog aslong as you get your car nice and hot. The only thing they would fail on is visual inspection and if they hook up to your ECU, unless you tap for the O2 or use a MIL eliminator or reset your ecu right before you go.

for CARB testing it turns out you need that first cat or something to act as it, but that is another story.

Quick Reply: Headers with Emissions testings