Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Header & Downpipe Installation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2004, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Viciouz
wait... u have to have the o2 sensor in there? Cuz I was thinking of leaving it out if it didnt' reach the hole on the aftermarket downpipe... and I have to buy a special socket for it too? Deng... all these little things add up in numbers... sheesh... So much money and its not even for performace...
it will reach, and you DO need it. you can un-hook those little plastic clips and it will reach fine. and you dont have to get the socket, you could just use a 19 mill. open end wrench. i just remember when i did my testpipe, how hard the O2 sensor was to get off without the socket. but i guess since it was hot, it came out pretty easy.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys... I just went outside and popped my hood to look at the o2 wire, and to me... it looks like there is no way in heck i am going to be able to extend that o2 wire all they way to where the second cat is on my car? I want to extend it down there because that is where to o2 sensor hole is on the downpipe... Or will it? Do I have to cut and tear apart the wiring for my car? Any thots guys?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

What header do you have? You have 2 02 sensors, one in the manifold and one in the cat. There should be a bung for it in your header.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I got this one from alpha werks and the o2 sensor is removed from the header and put on to the downpipe towards the lower end where the cat is.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

the best advice you can get is to run the car a until its warmed up then work on it. way easir to work the bolts. what kind of headr u guys get? i got kamikaze it
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

http://alphawerks.com/alpha_interface_headers.htm

scroll down n u see the lancer... i got mine for real cheap off of ebay
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

any pics? i cant find any. i gotta see what youre talkin about. aight, nevermind.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

did u see the website? its there... i have the header and downpipe
Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Don't you guys have any friends with an impact wrench? You'll get those things off in a flash, no sweat or worries about jacks. Even if the impact isn't strong enough to spin them right off, you can switch to forward and reverse to shock it loose.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Viciouz
Hey guys... I just went outside and popped my hood to look at the o2 wire, and to me... it looks like there is no way in heck i am going to be able to extend that o2 wire all they way to where the second cat is on my car? I want to extend it down there because that is where to o2 sensor hole is on the downpipe... Or will it? Do I have to cut and tear apart the wiring for my car? Any thots guys?
There should be an o2 sensor hole in the bottom of the header piping (right before where it connects to the downpipe) and then a second o2 sensor in the 2nd catalitic converter.

Are you saying that the o2 sensor is lower than where the header would connect to the downpipe? You may have to unclip the o2sensor from the motor in order to get it to reach down there, but that one is for the header, not the 2nd cat.

a pic may help heh
Old Apr 13, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine on today. No matter how much time, swet, strength or wathever I've put on the bolts that connect the downpipe to the cat, I could have never got it off. I had to bring it to a shop so they can loose it up a bit.

The impac wrench along could not do the job. They had to torch the bolts, then unscrew them out of there. It costed 25$ just to loosen up 2 bolts. It's a good thing I did the install my-self.

1 question though. I want to make sure I did that part right.
Where are we suppose to attach the hangers that are welded on the downpipe. Are we suppose to attach them to the rubber things that were holding the stock one?