Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2001, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine noise

My 2002 OZ Lancer has about 1000 miles now. I just noticed like about at 700 miles that when the car is idled, it makes a weird rattling noise when it is still. But when I press on the gas and the car is in motion, the sound goes away. Is this normal?? Or am I just bugging out? Anyone else with problems with their lancer?
Old Nov 12, 2001, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

What engine is in the 2002 Lancer? A common "problem" on the 4G63 is tappet noise which is usually caused by too thin oil.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 02:13 AM

Me Too

I have about 650 miles on mine and I have the same problem. Check your oil... it could be the case, or it could be your ignition tapping. It shouldn't cause you much problems though.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:29 PM

2002 (US) Lancer owners...

2002 US Lancer owners please let us know if you also have some noise at idle...

I also had noise in my '02 US Lancer from day 1... kind of a tapping sound.

I can ONLY hear it at idle, and oddly I hear it more when I'm *inside* the car with all windows CLOSED than with windows open or from outside the car..

I poked around with a stethescope and don't hear the ticking from the valve cover, but definitely a loud ticking from the injectors.

So it seems to be the injectors...

But can injectors be THAT noisy that you hear them from inside the car at idle?

I don't think there's any problem with the engine, but I'm hoping everyone has this sound from the Lancer, so I can sleep at night and not worry about what's going on in my new engine!
(I haven't had the chance to listen to any other lancers yet.)

Otherwise I'm very happy with the car! :-D
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:09 PM

having my car takin to the dealer already~

dont worry..ur not the only one....how long have u been having this problem?....cuz i still got it....it sounds louder now....i think ...than before...so im having it checked up....will be back wit the results.........
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:53 PM

Had the noise since day 1 with the car.. I just got the car before thanksgiving, and it still only has 220 miles on it.. but it hasn't gotten worse or anything, I suspect it's a "normal" Lancer sound, but I've never heard other Lancers. The fact that I'm not the only one wondering about that noise is comforting, I guess

Let me know if you find out what it is.. thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2001, 04:01 PM

Nothing at all happens when I push the clutch.. same sound..

I'm pretty sure it is the injectors, but I'm just NOT sure the injectors should be making that much noise..
Old Dec 3, 2001, 05:27 PM

ITS FIXED~!

well i went to the dealer today and came back....the results r in.....it seems that the ASM or accelerator cable was out of place and rattling on its bracket.....all they did was reposition it properly into the bracket again....simple as that....was free of charge too because of the warranty.....car is good as new now.........also i got an exhaust installed today...a universal one...but hey...this will have to do until they come out wit the full catback for the lancer.......im putting in an intake soon...and then a custom grill.....cuz the stock grill is nasty~~~....everything is goin well now.....after that......lower the car..and then rims and a kit..........

GLAD TO HEAR THAT THE EVO IS COMING.~!...hmmm i feel a trade-in coming soon
Old Dec 3, 2001, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the update, I'll check mine to see if that's what's causing my noise!

Doesn't RMR make a cat-back exhaust? Or is it not available yet?

Also, doesn't putting an aftermarket intake and exhaust void the warranty?
Old Dec 3, 2002, 05:17 PM

MY engine has that tapping noise too. I took it to the dealer and they looked it over with w stethascope and determined it was coming from the injector area. They concluded that they couldn't determine if it was normal or not.

I've seen some people say it is normal for this engine, but isn't this the first year for this engine???

None of my brackets are loose.

It makes the car sound like a piece of junk! I too can hear it better from inside the car. It happens at idle and when you are cruzing. It doen't happen when you are accelerating or slowing down. I guess I will try using 10w-30 like somebody suggested instead of the 5w-30 like the manual recommends.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Lifter noise is normal, especially loud with thinner oil.

Ign coil also makes its noise.

As for iinjectors, it too make noises from the by-product of elec pulse from the ecu to spray.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

You guys don't catch on to quick do ya? This goes for both the warranty issue and the engine tapping...

Warranty: http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...=sema+warranty

The Lancer we all know and love has about as much Lancer in it as a Civic. Lancer=renamed Mirage. The 4G9X block family engine has been around for probably about half of the forums average member age. It's not new in any sense of the word. It's just one of those things the motor series has always done. Couple that with the fact, you're using 5W oil which is probably only useful if you're in a colder clime.