Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Safest way to do nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2002, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, it doesn't directly affect the transmission other than giving it more sudden power when engaged because of it's ignition (what word do I want to use...? Combustion but not detonation.?) potential compared to regular gasoline.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 10:06 PM

actually its easier to run nitrous on an automatic becasue you dont have to worry about over revving before shifts. just engage nitrous and hold the gas pedal down ...that easy...
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:33 PM

any combustion motor can have a nitrous power adder installed. Even a fork lift
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
nos is a brand not the name we call for nitrous... NO2
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joseanevo
I'll go Wet Dudes i broke an engine about 4 yeras ago with a Dry set up , when i change to Wet i never had any problems just make sure you use the right combo for fuel and nitrous.........
Why did your dry setup fail? Dry can be 'safe' if used with the right safety equipment (window switch, fuel pressure safety, etc.). But you are correct, wet is generally a safer route since No2 is being injected while mixed with fuel, rather than just relying on your car's computer to pump the fuel in automatically as raw no2 is blown through the intake.

I gotta put up the :wtf: flag though. You want a 50 shot so you can pull your buddy's neon on the highway? Forgive me for stepping in on the Lancer forum but my friend, you are about to waste whatever money you're planning on spending on your car. The Lancer is a great car (so is a Catera, if that's what you're considering adding No2 to), definitely.. but adding 50shot to maybe pull your buddy's neon and risking a lot of damage to your car in the process (not to mention driving like that on the highway..)

it also sounds like you have a LOT of reading to do regarding the committment to maintaining your car once you do install nitrous, as well as training yourself to watch bottle temp, pressure, etc. my previous cars (LS1's) were awesome cars for No2 for drag racing competitively. Almost pulled the trigger on a direct-injection system myself.. but its too much of a hassle if you're not committed to taking care of the system.

Come out and play with us on the track, or at least autocross course. No No2 needed. Just a helmet.

Last edited by Solo II Evo; Dec 20, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pimpson
yes, it doesn't directly affect the transmission other than giving it more sudden power when engaged because of it's ignition (what word do I want to use...? Combustion but not detonation.?) potential compared to regular gasoline.
You're dramatically affecting the A/F ratio.

and the sudden power can overpower clutches, and if you're shifting with the spray, can add way more heat to the trans than it's designed for. Install a window switch (limits spray to given RPM band so if you miss-shift you don't watch your pistons get airborne.) On an automatic, heat can do the same thing - overheat the damn thing. Won't have the miss-shift problem though..

Last edited by Solo II Evo; Dec 20, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Am I the only one that notices this is an 8 YEAR OLD THREAD!!!!!!!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 03lances
Am I the only one that notices this is an 8 YEAR OLD THREAD!!!!!!!
hahaha, i just saw the thread title from the home page and I 'WTF'ed out loud at work.. had to post. At least I wasn't the reviver
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solo II Evo
hahaha, i just saw the thread title from the home page and I 'WTF'ed out loud at work.. had to post. At least I wasn't the reviver
I did the same thing a couple months ago. Seen a thread that I could not believe the info people were giving the dude so I had to post... only it was from 2004
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
bro get a Nos fogger system, a T4 turbo, and a standalone system...

thats not a bad way to spend 10,000 dollars

oh wait dont have to much Nitrous to blow yourself up lol