Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

PCV Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCV Valve Question

So my warranty maintenance schedule says to replace the PCV valve at 30k and I'm a little past that now. It's also roughly $4 at AutoZone and right up on top of the engine, so I figure it's got to be pretty easy to replace...

But in trying to unscrew the old one off the top of the engine, the whole mount it's in is moving, rather than unscrewing. That mount is welded to the valve cover, so I'd rather not snap it off - anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off?

Thanks,
-N
Old Aug 1, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

No one here on a weekend?
-N
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Bump again for good measure?
-N
Old Aug 2, 2004, 08:26 AM

use some liquid wrench on it first, mine took some work but it eventuly will come off.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

What is liquid wrench? Is it essentially WD-40 or something?
-N
Old Aug 2, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neilscully
What is liquid wrench? Is it essentially WD-40 or something?
-N
Yes, it's like WD-40, but works better. Nothing beats PB Blaster, though, IMO.

I still like the smell of WD-40 the best.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 07:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Yes, it's like WD-40, but works better. Nothing beats PB Blaster, though, IMO.

I still like the smell of WD-40 the best.
x2

PB is tops.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

I tried some WD-40, namely because that's what I have, but I'm not going to try again. I can't put any torque into trying to pull it off because the minimal amount of torque is bending the valve cover. It's really really soft metal in there and I'm not putting any effort into it. I'm very surprised no one else has had this problem.

I think I'm just going to take it to Mitsubishi and have them switch it... at least if they break my valve cover, it'll be their responsibility to get a new one put on.
-N
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:32 PM

Deleted

Last edited by rac300; Nov 28, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:01 PM

I tried some WD-40, namely because that's what I have, but I'm not going to try again. I can't put any torque into trying to pull it off because the minimal amount of torque is bending the valve cover. It's really really soft metal in there and I'm not putting any effort into it. I'm very surprised no one else has had this problem.
Having the same problem with $4.00 PVC valve will not come loose without snapping the mount. Also, having the heat control knobs that stick and cannot change from cold to hot and the same with vent selector, the 2003 Lancer is a piece of crap. I thought I was getting a great deal when I bought my Lancer used with only 44K miles. For a Japanese car company there quality is crap big time.

Last edited by rac300; Nov 28, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rac300
Having the same problem with $4.00 PVC valve will not come loose without snapping the mount. Also, having the heat control knobs that stick and cannot change from cold to hot and the same with vent selector, the 2003 Lancer is a piece of crap. I thought I was getting a great deal when I bought my Lancer used with only 44K miles. For a Japanese car company there quality is crap big time.
To change the PCV valve hold it on the bottom with a wrench as you loosen it with another ie counteract the pressure your putting on it.. as for the ac/heat issue it's a known issue I have it also under the dash on the drivers side is 2 white plates that you can manually switch from ac/heat yes it's annoying but it works! and it's a good car that has flaws like every car!
Old May 10, 2015, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by neilschelly
So my warranty maintenance schedule says to replace the PCV valve at 30k and I'm a little past that now. It's also roughly $4 at AutoZone and right up on top of the engine, so I figure it's got to be pretty easy to replace...

But in trying to unscrew the old one off the top of the engine, the whole mount it's in is moving, rather than unscrewing. That mount is welded to the valve cover, so I'd rather not snap it off - anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off?

Thanks,
-N
For what it's worth, I cut a small wedge from plywood and used it to counter the torque. I held it in place with a steel pry bar and ratchet strap. I had already tried penetrating oil and WD-40, but that thing was in there tight. I tapped on the wrench with a hammer until it started moving. It didn't break loose all at once. It was gradual.