Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

I drove a LHD Evo 7 today

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2001, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claudius/Scoobymike
I think you CAN specify almost any build specification from the factory for the RS model including no ACD fitted as they are intended to be for Rallying and therefore are typically purpose built. I am told Mitsubishi felt there was going to be some members of their rallying customer base that would prefer the old style system so it's an option- The one thing I am NOT sure about is whether it is the same used on the 6 or whether the 6 could be fitted with ACD easily/cheaply.
The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the 7 does not understeer anywhere near as much as the 6 - And this I am told is a down to a combination of things including the ACD unit.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 03:23 PM

superlancer

does ralliart acd ecu also change the AYC parameters?

K1 is for tarmac rally and race
K2 is for Gravel

is K1 more rear wheel drive biased and K2 more Front wheel drive biased?

What is standard item in an RS or GSR
where can i locate this ecu in the car?

Superlancer do you still drive on youre standard brembo system?

andre

Last edited by AdvEvo; Dec 10, 2001 at 03:42 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 03:54 PM

Andre
Now THAT is a very interesting question
The ACD unit on a GSR controls the ACD and AYC (so I am told). The standard ACD worked very well in the RS (with LSD) but did not feel as progressive or predictable in the GSR(AYC). I decided to replace the rear DIFF unit with a CUSCO LSD and junk the AYC. I went to order one and was told they would not be available as an off the shelf part until March 2002! It was at that point I telephoned a friend of mine who is running the Grp N 7 RS who told me about the Ralliart Sports ACD unit and that they had fitted one to their RS and it was sooo much better. He knows me well and understands what I am wanting from the car and suggested I try the RA ACD with the standard GSR AYC system to make the AYC feel more progressive as a compromise until the CUSCO units becomes available. Turns out I might leave things as they are as the improvements are very good.
What I can tell you for sure is:

(i) The car is definitely more progressive with the uprated unit (either a GSR or RS)

(ii) You can get the back end out and drive it on the throttle easier than before - More like an RS(LSD car)

Ralliart Japan's leaflet on this product tells you very little -Can anyone further qualify this??
Old Dec 11, 2001, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

If you ask any English importers for japanese parts you might aswell ask my grandma, that's how much they know. You have to contact someone in Japan directly and then you'll find out if and when they have the parts. Try takakaira.com, although I don't know how good they are as I go through personal contacts or do it myself. Write a mail to Cusco in English they should be able to help you.

About rollcages, they vary in price. I think a full blown FIA cage will be around 2000-3000 pounds depending on where you get it from.

Claudius, I think I'll go for a custom made cage as the costs for shipping one over from Japan will be too much I believe. That's quite far down my list at the moment though so I haven't researched it that much.
Old Dec 11, 2001, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ah and, AYC is shít, no matter what car. Even a sports ECU won't be able to emulate a real LSD, as you said SuperL.
Old Dec 11, 2001, 11:47 AM

Hi Andre

does ralliart acd ecu also change the AYC parameters?

It doesn't say it does in the literature I have (which is poor!) but I can tell you it made my car more predictable and altered the way the power is put down at the rear so although this is not "scientific" my butt tells me that the AYC perameters have been changed.
(Please forgive this non scientic post Michael!)
By the way the AYC in a 7 is NOTHING like as bad as a 6 to start with.

K1 is for tarmac rally and race
K2 is for Gravel

is K1 more rear wheel drive biased and K2 more Front wheel drive biased?

Could be. I know that the K2 unit has a higher mu characteristic than the K1 and the K1 has a higher mu characteristic than the STD unit. I think it is to do with the increase in frequency response of the hydraulics in the ACD - in the uprated units the pump is worked significantly harder to keep the thing locked and to respond in super fast time. I heard a guy call the standard MAP a "soft" MAP....

What is standard item in an RS or GSR

Standard unit (NON Ralliart)

where can i locate this ecu in the car?

The ACD unit is located (on a RHD car!) behind the transmission tunnel cowl in the passenger floor well.

Superlancer do you still drive on youre standard brembo system?

Nope I ditched them for (wait for it...) AP 6 pots, 362mm continuous groove at the front and 4 pot continuous groove at the rear, fully upgraded braided hoses, Ralliart master cylinder bracket, SRF Racing fluid and I have some of the PE Airducts on order.
Hopefully this should stop all warping problems!!
The brakes are awesome by the way!
Old Dec 12, 2001, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Did I ever say you posted something unscientific?!? Although that is pretty bad...
Old Dec 12, 2001, 02:10 PM

Hi Michael
No you didn't I just know what sticklers you Finns are for the right level detail
So how's your car coming along??
I will do my best to make it to the Ring meet next year.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

The car's fine, sleeping in the garage at the moment with all the paperwork needed to register it, except for insurance and a paper stating that it hasn't been stolen in Germany. Had the last one before but it expired before the car passed the TÜV. Couldn't be happier...soon it'll be time for me to start driving the Ring properly