Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

I drove a LHD Evo 7 today

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2001, 05:26 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome! Glad to know the Evo 7 is worth it in the end. Let's just hope we get the same car you drove and not some watered down version.

Mark
Old Dec 8, 2001, 06:14 PM

claudius

my Evo 7 RS is comming in december but i register in januari 2002

it s got an mechanical front diff
ACD centre diff
Mechanical rear diff

i also ordered it with 17 inch wheel and brembo system

ps if the brembo system warps again a 6 pot ap with 332 x32 mm disc is waiting in my room to get mounted if i survive it with the brembo system i sell the ap again.

claudius the car that you run was it equipped with the new ACD diff with the three settings

and did it have short gearings

regards

andre
Old Dec 10, 2001, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, I believe the standard 7 could be better than the standard 6, because of the standard chassis being stiffer, but in the end, in race mount with different diffs, a full cage, etc. I think the weight difference would kick in. I plan to add some sort of a cage to my car at some point and don't think that the 7 would be the better choice then.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 10:37 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

What do most cage builders charge for a custom cage near you guys?

I've seen the Cusco cage and it's pretty weak. Someitmes the Japanese go for style over safety a little too much. Those bends in the front A pillar bars are just horrible.

I would sugggest finding custom cage builder and have a bolt in cage made. Just make sure he's qualified to do the work.

Mark
Old Dec 10, 2001, 10:51 AM

Hi Claudius
Glad to see you got a chance to drive the 7 and liked it.
I have had mine now for just over 3 weeks and do not regret my decision to part with my 6. As you say they are SO progressive
I went for a GSR with the Sports ACD unit (rather than LSD) which has made a hell of a difference and have the Eibach springs on for the now (Drummond upgrade decision has been defered until after Xmas). It hides it's speed so well due to the improved suspension travel that I actually thought it was no quicker than my 6 until I looked at the speedo and saw I was going 20 MPH faster between my favorite corners. I would recommend any 7 owner (come on Andre!) try a sports ACD if they get the chance as they react far quicker and provide a much higer mu than the standard unit. In either case, I have found Gravel setting to be my favorite
Old Dec 10, 2001, 12:46 PM

claudius you can get an evo 7 with viscous centre diff

superlancer i have ordered an evo 7 RS with ACD

but you can also get an ralliart sport ecu for the ACD

did someone tried that?

regards

andre
Old Dec 10, 2001, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Can you swap the Evo6 VCD(viscous center diff) for the Evo7 ACD?
The ACD is electronic and would perform better than the 6's mechanical diff.

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2001, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

This is a nice review mate. Now you'll sell your Mak? Even if the VII was faster than the VI, overtaking with the VI will be a lot easier as it looks much more intimidating so you don't need any turning-lights

Good to hear that the STI is still a slauch. Switzerland will be flooded soon by those Scoobies as they're very keenly priced. BTW have you seen the callipers of the STI. Look very similar to the EVOs, no good then.

Cheers

Mike
Old Dec 10, 2001, 02:32 PM

Hi Andre
It is the Ralliart Sports ACD I am refering to - Part number RA553831K1
It was recommended by a local Rally Team who ran a Grp N 7 in the Network Q this year. They datalogged the standard item, the K1 and the full blown K2 Rally ACD unit and as they know me well, recommended the K1 for my application. They were spot on and the improvements are instantaneous. It works on both GSR and RS models ofcourse and I wanted to try this on an AYC fitted GSR car to see if I could attain theadvantages in handling characteristics AYC has but whilst providing the progressive feel of an LSD based car, and I think I'm almost there.
It is head and shoulders better than a 6 GSR with AYC fitted make no mistake.
As I know how much you like driving sideways, you should certainly add this to your list of things to buy...

Quick Reply: I drove a LHD Evo 7 today