Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Please help me convince my parents to let me buy a turbo kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2004, 04:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually turbo FWD is the easiest to drive imo. The only "dangerous" thing about it aside from increased power (which is the same with any drivetrain) is torque steer. And if you start to torque steer then ease off the gas.

But regardless, if you have to convince someone else then you probably shouldn't be doing it anyway. Besides, if your parents are paying for you car, they probably won't appreciate the increased maintenance costs or the potential for failure if you get greedy, have a poor install etc etc. Not to mention you can kiss the warranty that saves you parents money in case of a problem goodbye. You'll greatly reduce resale, and you'll definitely lose money in one way, shape or form. If you want it so bad, pay for it yourself.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 06:44 PM

It was going to be my own money, but my dad would help me put it in and it is his car. So, i would have needed his ok. However, I agree with everyone else here, that I need to force myself to hold off and just focus on less expensive mods. Thanks again.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

you need your own car...

also if you have to ask your parents how you are allowed to spend your own money then your probably not old enough for a turbo kit yet.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
Actually turbo FWD is the easiest to drive imo.
easiest to drive how? you talking about safety? FWD is harder to launch than rwd or awd.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 07:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm talking about both safety and ease of operation. Launching and understeer are THE two problems with FWD, turbocharged or not. Besides, launch can be simplified with a 2-step rev limiter and some experimenting, a LSD, firmer motor mounts and a little practice.

I was talking about daily driving though btw.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:47 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing to consider: In SCCA racing (since you mentioned it) aftermarket turbo is just about the worst mod anyone can do. SCCA goes through great lengths to make sure all cars are classed fairly against similar cars. If left mostly stock, a Lancer will do pretty well competing in HS against stock Civics, Focuses (Foci?), Mirages, 8 valve DSM, etc. If you mod the suspension, you have a decent chance against other STS vehicles under 3 liters or in FSP with Corollas, older Celicas, etc. Now if you go turbo, since aftermarket forced induction is hard to regulate, SCCA just dumps you into this "run what you brung as long as it's street legal" class (SM) which will pair you against highly modified Evos, M3s, Cobras, etc. Now you get the idea of what is competitive. The closer you are to bone stock, the more competitive a Lancer is. That being said, a Lancer isn't the best SCCA vehicle, but that doesn't stop me!!!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you're trying to win your class sure. But if you just wanna autox in a modified car, then hey...sounds like more fun to me. If I ever autox in the future it'll probably be in my Lancer, regardless of whether I'm going up against a Viper or a Yugo. I just wanna drive, **** what class I'm in.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

i dont care too much about my class either, just a bout getting a good time for myself.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

poor kid. Tell him to take that money and save up for a car himself...that way he can get a beter understanding for cars...and how to mod them.

Its cool that ur parents are nice...It just doesnt seem like u totally appreciate the car since u arent/didnt pay for it.

Hold off on the turbo until u understand the car beter, just my opinion. Good luck tho!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe there is a reason why they wont get you one. But if you really want one, I'll say just go get it.

If it works out it's good, if it doesn't work out, you've experienced something early on in your life.

Maybe it's a good experience for you. You only live once.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

he shouldnt get it, if it is his fathers car and his father does not want it on his car, that is grounds for losing car privileges lol
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

MaN.. this thread makes me feel bad since i got my turbo kit when i was 17.. non i/c RRM kit.. installed it myself.. paying for hte car myself still too.. hahaha.. its really not worth it though.. right now i wish i still had that 3 grand and would've just bought a TSi or something.. save your money.. you're not missing out on anything by having a turbo'd FWD Lancer..

*Note.. the car is mine now.. name has been transferred to me as soon as i turned 18.. plz dont bash cuz i got a TC at hte age of 17, also still a perfect driving record.*
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by twinkiemobile
MaN.. this thread makes me feel bad since i got my turbo kit when i was 17.. non i/c RRM kit.. installed it myself.. paying for hte car myself still too.. hahaha.. its really not worth it though.. right now i wish i still had that 3 grand and would've just bought a TSi or something.. save your money.. you're not missing out on anything by having a turbo'd FWD Lancer..

*Note.. the car is mine now.. name has been transferred to me as soon as i turned 18.. plz dont bash cuz i got a TC at hte age of 17, also still a perfect driving record.*
damn you got a car at 17 years old and bought yourself a turbo your at that age... sheesh at 16-19 i was catching the damn bus
Old Nov 4, 2004, 06:54 PM

dang i want to sell my turbo now... I do need the mullah. hrrrmmmm...
Old Nov 4, 2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
The only "dangerous" thing about it aside from increased power (which is the same with any drivetrain) is torque steer. And if you start to torque steer then ease off the gas.
sorry ot. but what do u mean by torque steer
and spydervenm ill be more than happy to take that turbo kit off yer hands

Quick Reply: Please help me convince my parents to let me buy a turbo kit!!!