Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Brakes (Performance) For Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slotted Rotors or Carbon Kevlar Brake Pads?

I could really care less about looks, what I want is performance. So I'm willing to put the money into brakes. I'm thinking of getting New rotors (brembo slotted/drilled), but do they really add a lot to the performance? For pads, I'm thinking Porterfield Carbon Kevlar Pads, or Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads. Do slotted rotors really effect performance, or is mostly in the performance pads? I don't mind spending money on brakes, but if the difference between the slotted and stock rotors with the nice brake pads isnt that much, I'll stay stock rotors and keep my $$. Thanks,
N1te

Last edited by N1te; Nov 17, 2004 at 08:28 PM. Reason: To Attract response
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Pads will help braking more than rotors will. Slotted/drilled rotors help disperse heat.

And as for the Brembo rotors (from eBay I assume), I'd be careful because it's been discussed before that while the rotors may be Brembo rotors, they might actually be drilled/slotted by another company entirely. So you might not be getting full Brembo quality and reliability.

And as for pad comparisons, I'd go with the Axxis pads over the Porterfields because the carbon kevlar takes a lot more heat to actually get the full braking power out of them.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i prefer slotted of drilled/ slotted and drilled, because of the cracking factor. I have powerslots and Porterfield R4-s, but I have not been able to drive my car yet. Only 4 more days though. Then I will give you some better feedback. I can tell you that just changing the rotors isnt that much of a difference, but I have not driven my car since I bought the pads.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

get the willwoods..i dunno i just like the way the look
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghostrider

And as for the Brembo rotors (from eBay I assume), I'd be careful because it's been discussed before that while the rotors may be Brembo rotors, they might actually be drilled/slotted by another company entirely. So you might not be getting full Brembo quality and reliability.
TireRack carries slotted Brembo rotors for the Lancer (not the ES). These are the real deal slotted by Brembo. No worries there about quality. I have and I am very happy with them.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 08:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
get the willwoods..i dunno i just like the way the look
Damn, you beat me to it!

If you are serious about wanting to put the money into your performance, don't bother with rotors and pads. They'll help a bit, but not enough. If you really want to stop, then call up Rhys Millen Racing and get a set of Wilwood front brakes. You get the whole thing - lines, rotors, calipers, pads. That is the only serious upgrade. Well worth the $715, if you ask me (although I don't have them yet ).

Old Nov 18, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

actually, it's been discussed here before that going the slotted rotors/axxis pads and getting stainless brake-lines gives just about as much stopping power as the Wilwoods. If you're not wanting looks that bad and would like to save a little money, I'd go that route. 'course, with the wilwoods you do have to have 16" wheels minumum
Old Nov 18, 2004, 08:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not to hijack, but where does one get stainless brake lines? I haven't seen them anywhere lately.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't found a vendor, but you could probly get them made at a local hydraulics shop
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

go to google and type in diamond star specialties... thats where i got mine... i payed i think it was 85 before shipping... but thats cuz i had the first set and they needed someone to test fit them. Talk to them about a group buy... im sure they would be interested.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Thanks 03Rally! I may look into it.

Back on topic, I do have the rotors and Axxis pads. Nice, you'll like them if you go that route. I still want those Wilwoods, though! Just too poor!