Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

The rumors are true about recalls!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The rumors are true about recalls!!

I just wanted to say that the rumors are true about the recalls on the 02's, and now my Lancer is dead. I purchased my Lancer es in 2002 from the Dealership. I bought the ES model becuase after careful research I found no outstanding differences in performance between the ES, and the OZ Rally edition. I drove tha car for 6 months,then temporarily moved overseas. The car stayed in storage for about a year. when I got back and started driving my ES again, I immediately noticed some weakness in the clutch pedal, after a day of driving. I looked over the car and noticed what seemed to be brake fluid seeping out of a little weep hole where the engine and transmission meet. After some more looking i found out that lancers are equipped with hydraulic throw-out bearings. <on manual trans> I replaced this, and the part was about 120.00. NOTE TO ALL> It is not a fun task to remove the trans. It took me about 2 days to do this, and 5 minutes of it was replacing the throwout bearing. The only reason i can think of for this part failure is the one year in storage. Anyways after this happened I kept a close eye on the car, and saw that the cooling fan only came on about every 7-10 minutes, and ran for about 3 seconds. This concerned me. But the car never ran hot on the guages. One horrible day I was driving to work and noticed an increased loss in power. Guages were fine, no hills, so i went to pull over, downshifted, car died.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Jeez, sorry about the car, have you gotten the car checked out to see whats wrong?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats sucks man. Sorry to hear it. Good thing I got a '03 OZ and had my cooling fan controller replaced under warranty (recalled). What are you going to be getting now?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Damn that sucks... So what is wrong with the car excatly?

Fox
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

what recalls???? i have heard nothing of this.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mcpcola
what recalls???? i have heard nothing of this.
I think he is just saying that we should all get our cars looked at... there is a recall for the cooling fan... you should go take your car in. It's free and only takes about 30 mins...

Fox
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:42 PM

Angry The rumors are true <continued>

Never let your car die on the inside lane of a 4 lane highway going 80mph in rush hour traffic. When it died i was almost in the second outside lane. The steering got so stiff that at the high speeds i couldnt negotiate traffic. A car in front af me hit his brakes, and my brakes were not effective enough to stop intime. I swerved at the last possible instance, and unavoidably side skidded into a concrete barrier. Ripping off the front of my Beautiful baby. the only thing left of the front was the tires and engine. The bumper, grille, Radiater, fan and hood, were an unrecognizable mess. By this time<Dec, 2004> My car had been payed off, and i had liability only. So I was pissed off beuase my insurance wouldnt pay for the wreck. I had no choice but to fix the car myself. After prying the wreckage apart, and getting the hood off, i was finally able to look at the engine. It seemed fine except for what seemed like a heat induced bubble in the silver paint of the valve cover. I imediately checked the sparkplugs. Much to my dismay, WATER, in avery cylinder. AND MY TEMPERATURE GUAGE NEVER FLUCTUATED!!!! This had to be the result of a waterpump, temp indicater malfuncion. I hope this story has helped u make a decision to check your Lancer out, and make sure its ok. By the way If anyone has free front end lancer parts, or very cheap ones let me know. I am in the hole right now with no ride. I need some help. Ill pay shipping.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Can I go for a recall even though my warranty is expired???
Old Dec 19, 2004, 07:36 AM

If you can show that the problem was related to the fan controller or the water pump then Mitsu should pay for the repairs on your car since the malfunction caused the wreck. Talk to an attorney.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nicktutt420
just to ask the question to clarify........I have an '03 ES and have received no notice for recall. I see on the board that when people are talking about a recall they are referring to the '02 models. Are there any known recalls for the '03s? Can anyone confirm this?
I have an 03 and I got a notice in the mail. Just call up your local Mitsubishi dealership and ask them if you can bring your car in and have the recall work done.

Fox
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

A recall has nothing to do with the warranty, so in other words yes you can have it replaced for free.

Before my friend wrecked his civic, he had the starter replaced, for free, well after the warranty was expired. And the recall was for 2 years ago.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Recalls are more of a legal issue than a warranty issue. If they send you a letter, and you don't get it done, then they are no longer liable, its basically like a disclaimer.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I'm going to go and check it out at the dealership on monday. I hope they will fix everything even though I never got a letter.

If they are going to change the water pump are they also going to have to change the timing belt?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 09:18 AM

I broke my AC knob today becuase it was always very difficult to turn, I just called a dealer and it is also a recall. So im taking in my car to get both recalls fixed.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

tarrant....the dealership said there was a recall on the A/C knob itself?

Quick Reply: The rumors are true about recalls!!