Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

my lancer is demolished..... i should be dead

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 03:49 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my lancer is demolished..... i should be dead

i was driving home from new york when it happened. all of a sudden we hit a "snow white spot". basically a snow storm came out of nowhere. one minute the road was clear.... the next minute 6 inches of snow covered the ground and you couldnt see 3ft in front of you.

the next thing i see is a semi truck jack-knifed sideways blocking off the 2 lane expressway. i had no options....... semi right in front of me, trees on the left, trees on the right. i yelled to my girlfriend "HOLD ON!". we tried to stop, but it was too late. i cut the wheel completely and spun my car so that it smacked into the side of the semi on the rear passenger side (i wanted to avoid a head on collision). we came to a dead stop.

i yelled to her "GET OUT.....GET OUT NOW!". we get out of the car in a matter of seconds and whats coming towards us? sure enough, the second semi i had just passed up. it jack-knifed also. the driver slammed on his brakes, and was coming sideways right for us. my girlfriend ran and jumped out of the way, back tires on the semi nearly hitting her legs. as for me..... well i stared death right in the face. the bed/cargo/trailer part was coming right at me. i dropped to the floor and said "GOD save me". the semi passed sideways right on top of me. i passed right inbetween the tires, with the rear tires almost smashing my head by about 2 or 3 feet. i looked behind me while i was on the ground, and the truck plowed into my car and took it into a ditch. my car was underneath the semi.

seconds after i yell "RUN..... RUN..... RUN!". all the other cars, trucks, and minivans come flying at us. as we are running towards the woods cars are crashing everywhere. into the semi, into other cars, flying off the shoulder into trees. "RUN INTO THE WOODS!" i yelled. other people did the same and followed us. you didnt hear anything except..... BAM.......silence.....BAM..... silence.....BAM...... this went on for about 2-3 minutes straight. no tires, no brakes, no nothing just people crashing into one another. the snow storm got us. mother nature got us.

everything went silent. people running around asking if everyone was ok, little children screaming and crying. dogs barking. police, medical, and fire department sirens could be heard in the background coming towards us. so many people on the road walking around shocked. 80 cars....... maybe 200+ people. after everything had calmed down i went back to where my car was. i asked the semi truck driver "HEY ARE YOU OK?" "yeah i'm good" "HEY DID YOU BY ANY CHANCE SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CAR?" "no i didnt hit your car". hmmmmm..... i look underneath the semi by the ditch, and sure enough, my car was on its side smashed to pieces. total loss.

soon after perimedics asked if we were ok. i told them that i was fine, but my girlfriend pulled her back. they asked me what car i was in, and i told them it was the red one underneath the truck. they were SHOCKED. how could we still be alive? they immediately put us in the first ambulence, and rushed us to the nearest hospital. everything was ok. everyone at the hospital asked me what specifically happend in "our" crash situation. i told them and their mouths dropped. they were speechless. soon after everyone in the hospital knew our story.

after all this happend they transported the victims of the car pile up to the nearest motel. we spent the night there, and the red cross set up a disaster relief center in the ballroom. local places donated food, so we got to eat a nice hot meal. i heard the reporters and camera crews were looking for me and my girlfriend. the famous red car with the luckiest 2 people. apparently word got out quick on what we did. i didnt run into them however..... ehhh i didnt mind.

this morning when i woke up to get ready, i quickly turned on the tv and watched the news. sure enough, my car was there. full sized recording coming through the tv. the only reason i knew it was my car was because a piece of my evo 7 hood was still intact, and i saw my hood vent. evertyhing else was destroyed. 80 car pile up on the I-80 west right near the pennsylvania/ohio boarder. 30 hurt and went to the hospital, no serious injurys, and NO deaths.

this morning i caught a flight back to chicago. its over. the nightmare is over. all i see in my mind is that semi coming right at us. it was something out of a damn movie, and all of it happened in about 20-30 seconds. yeah....... it was THAT crazy. i dont know how i'm still alive. GOD saved me. thats the only explination i can give. how did i know to get out of the car? how did the semi not crush me as it went over? how did i know how to run? i dont know. GOD definately had something to do with it.

i'm VERY thankful to be alive. i'm thanking GOD every minute of the day.

i just wanted to post up and say thank you to everyone for everything. i dont know whats going to happend now with insurance and all that. i'm probably not going to be on the boards anymore. its been fun. i really did love my lancer, and felt bad after everything happened, especially since it was heavily modified and i put my heart and soul into the car. this is a great community, and i appreciate all the help and advise. i'll see you guys around.

take care, and GOD bless.

Last edited by .L.; Dec 20, 2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

wow, man, good thinking, sorry to hear of the loss of the lancer, but yeah, thank god you were thinking clearly enough to know to get the hell out of dodge. wow
Old Dec 20, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

your one lucky guy sorry for the loss of the car but you just got lucky most people dont even think in those kind of situations they just stand there and wait for it to happen luckily you got out alive
Old Dec 20, 2004, 03:58 PM

Im so glad you were ok! That was a powerful story, I think i saw something about a huge car pile up on the news. Where was it exactly?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

here's some info on it
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_285175.html

CNN has some pictures of it too:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/20/hig....ap/index.html
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:02 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toygirl
Im so glad you were ok! That was a powerful story, I think i saw something about a huge car pile up on the news. Where was it exactly?

80 car pile up on the I-80 west right near the pennsylvania/ohio boarder. 30 hurt and went to the hospital, no serious injurys, and NO deaths.

it was on the national news. cnn even called the motel to see if anyone wanted to be interviewed.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

damn that story got me on the edge of my seat. you should be a writer. sorry to hear your losses man, but glad to hear your A.O.K.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn.

God loves you.

We're gonna miss you on the board. Good luck in your new, future adventures.

-DJ
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

WOW...and you met my brother (nextgeneration) that same day...i hope everything works out...if you need anything please call me or my brother

Garrick
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

"Hunt said at one point he saw a man lying in the snow narrowly hurdled by a truck that went airborne and left the road."

i assume he was talking about you

thats some craziness
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

I have driven on the I80 in penn to go to Penn State to visit friends and when its snowing...its freaken HELL..you can see anything and there are no lights....
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Thats insane. Thats fast thinking man. I'm glad to hear you and your lady came out alright.

the lancer is right there in the center. thats crazy. god was watching over you.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

wow. thats an intense story. sounds like God has a plan for you.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:12 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

if someone can, i'm not to good with computers.... go to CNN.com scroll down and click on 80 car pile up. look at the first picture.... which should be the same as above^ click "next", and thats my car. can somone transfer the pic here?

Last edited by .L.; Dec 20, 2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Quick Reply: my lancer is demolished..... i should be dead