Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

lancer sucks in snow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2002 | 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Wolfe
It all depends on the driver and the tires. I live in NY and I have no problems in the snow with my Lancer
I live in NY too, and mine absolutely sucks in the snow.. I think I already need new tires and that sucks.. I can't control the damn car on the road, although it's kinda fun.. haha..
Old Dec 25, 2002 | 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

i think for when i go skiing the lancers hittin the garage and the explorers comin outta sleep and is my way 2 go since heck the yoks that i got dont even grip on dry road let alone rain here in washington
Old Dec 25, 2002 | 11:24 AM

I just came in from driving in the 4 inches snow. Its not alot of snow but for the most part i really didnt have any problems other than one nice size hill. I did however, have alot of fun in an empty parking slideing my car everywhere.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have got the stock Yokahama's also and when you push on the gas liglty the front of the car slides to one side.
I was even going slow when I went to make a turn and the tires didnt even grip or turn the car,I had o use the handbrake to slide the car into the direction I wanted to go. Which at 5 mph is a little hard to do.

Maybe I just need snow tire ,these all season are only good in dry weather. They even suck in the rain. I always spin the tires too easy. No I am not flooring it or trying to race it when it slides or does not grip.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I also have 17"s and Kuhmos and got stuck on a hill last spring in a snow storm. The hill was very minimal and I was being passed by minivans and cavaliers.....
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

First off, let me say that the car can't be that bad, it's still FWD. Imagine a RWD car in snow. You have to know the basic characteristics of understeer when driving in snow. The car tracks like a train, traction issues are most likely related to tires less than road conditions.

Originally posted by OZevoVII
in Boulder where i live they never plow around my streets so i slide all over the place...Im more worried about other people more than myself though. My lancer isnt a fan of inclimate weather, but comes april it will be all good!
I too live in Boulder, drove the car all last winter without any car issues, (1 driver issue) This winter we haven't seen snow since late October so I can't tell you how the tires hold up after 30k miles, but part of the reason I chose the car was it's FWDrivetrain and it's ability to handle it's own in snow.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

it really isnt the car, it is those stupid tires. they dont like anything wet.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 09:07 AM

We just got about 6 inches here and I had absolutely no problems driving with the stock rims and goodyears. It's all about driving style IMO.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

yeah just got about 4 inches in NJ yesterday. i love snow!! you just have to get yourself a parking lot and learn how to drive in the snow with your car. thats what i did. now i kno how fast i can go on turns before sliding out, how long the car takes to stop at different speeds, using the e-brake to make tighter turns, pulsing the brakes so the tires don't lock up..blah blah... now i have no problems at all driving in the snow. more or less i have to watch out for the other dumbasses on the road that never learned how to drive in the snow
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Oh christ people I learned to drive in the snow....these tires just suck ***,big time. they are only generic yokahama's after all. Everyone with the goodyears seem to have no problems at all. just these stupid yoko's.

And when you are sitting still and press lightly on the gass and the car just slides to the right it isnt driving style,its called icy snow and bad tires. 8 inches of snow dont help either.
When you learn that the handbrake can better help out it is a good tool. The normal brakes would just let the car slide, but the hand brake when used with the normal brakes seemd to help slow the car down with out sliding or wheel lock.

Edit: I must admit though. On my luch hour christmas eve I went out and did nice long slides in the parking lot using my handbrake only. I first pulled off a 180 after I got gutsy enough. Then later I got too gutsy and slid a 360. That was way cool but I thought I was going to roll my car. The guys told me I didnt even get close to rolling it at all.

So we are going to video tape it and do it all over again.

Last edited by OZ_Rally; Dec 26, 2002 at 09:51 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah,
Same here, whenever it snows in Ft. Lauderdale, there is absolutely no traction w/ any car. Its kinda scary.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

i got those dam yokohama tires also, dam tires are hella wack. horrible in snow and i just got my 2nd flat tire!! didnt even have this car for a year yet.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by azyan
i got those dam yokohama tires also, dam tires are hella wack. horrible in snow and i just got my 2nd flat tire!! didnt even have this car for a year yet.
I've driven Lancer's with every type of OEM tire in the snow and find the Yoko's to be the best by far. I seek out the Yoko tired cars when going for demo drives on snowy days.
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

the funny thing is fwd is supposed to work very well in the snow but for some strange reason the lancer isnt doing very well.. or it seems like it..how would i no i live in cali no snow here blah
Old Dec 26, 2002 | 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by OZ_Rally
Oh christ people I learned to drive in the snow....these tires just suck ***,big time. they are only generic yokahama's after all. Everyone with the goodyears seem to have no problems at all. just these stupid yoko's.
yea no kidding being born & raised in chicago i HAVE experience driving in stupid snow..they must be phoney *** yoko's alright.who knows..they prolly shorted us just like our oz rims are supposedly made by enkei hahahalolz times like these..i really do wish i lived in a state with palm trees and where people actually make time to go surfing before work lolz

Quick Reply: lancer sucks in snow