Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

lancer sucks in snow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2002 | 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Goodyears... Seem to work well... as long as you remember to keep the tires rolling, it seems to work fine...
Old Dec 27, 2002 | 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

my car got stuck twice today, one of the times my buddy was pushing and a piece of ice flew up and smashed him in the face and knocked him on his ***, the funniest **** ive seen in a long time
Old Dec 27, 2002 | 12:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's the tires. Yes, all season tires are a sham, but they tend to do better in the rain than summer tires in my experience.

My advice to the inexperienced driving in the snow:

-Drive slowly. It will make serious sliding less likely and it will make braking easier.

-Drive in high gears and low RPMS. Less torque to the wheels means less tire spin with no traction.

-Get winter tires. The stock Yokos really weren't bad. I had no problems last year. My Falkens SUCK in thesnow, but I don't have money to buy another set of wheels and tires right now (yet). Next year will be different.

-Check your tread depth especially before winter. Make sure you have grip before you go into winter if you're not going to get winter tires or you're not going far.

Hope that helps somewhat. The Lancer itself does fine in my experience. The tires you choose and how you drive are the biggest factors in how any car grips in any weather though so if you make the wrong decisions you will have poroblems.

Drive safely.
Old Dec 27, 2002 | 01:30 PM

Thats good advice hobie...i have to agree its not the lancer but the tires...i think the tires really suck ***...i learned from experience...to hobie and zlancer remember that snow storm on christmas day...4 inches right...well i was on 280 doin bout between 50 and 55 mph....goin with flow of traffic not counting those that still pass me goin 70....anyways...i was just driving and suddenly my steering wheel turned hard right on its own...tried to turn its straight or at least left to counter turn but couldn't...i went straight across the highway and spun 360 about 5 times b4 hitting the curb taking out the exit sign and landing back in to the second lane of the highway...scariest **** that ever happened to me...your life does flash b4 your eyes...i couldn't see anything but trees then road then trees and road till the car stopped...word of advice...stock tires suck *** i dunno what happened to me but plz everyone be carefull...right now im looking for some snow tires for my rims...hopefully ill have better luck...
Old Dec 28, 2002 | 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

you need snow tires and some experience
Old Dec 28, 2002 | 04:36 PM

The day after Christmas i went outside. We had 12inches of snow. I live on a mountain and my fathers 4x4 pickup got stuck in the snow. I had no problems getting to work at all. I had an automatic, all you have to do to is know how and when to change gears and braking.
Old Dec 28, 2002 | 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

something u should already know...bad traffic condiction...DRIVE SLOW...rain, fog, snow...drive it slower...
ppl here in So Cali cant drive in the rain..the accicendent rate is so high up when its raining!!
driving fast in horriable weather condiction is just risking my life..im not w WRC driver..so ill keep it safe.....i will only go crazy when i know its safe...dry, daytime, and no cars arould!!! its not just your life ur playing w/...ur sharing the street w/ other people!! BE A SAFE DRIVER
Old Dec 28, 2002 | 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

i think the main reason why we are getting the lancer sucks in the snow is that alot of lancer owners actualy are 16 -17 years old and dont have alot of experince driving in snow my lance perform quite well in the snow it think far better then my previous car drivin in snow is a art form almost it comes with time
Old Dec 28, 2002 | 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by cerfur
i think the main reason why we are getting the lancer sucks in the snow is that alot of lancer owners actualy are 16 -17 years old and dont have alot of experince driving in snow my lance perform quite well in the snow it think far better then my previous car drivin in snow is a art form almost it comes with time
Uhh, I don't totally agree.. I'm 20 and mine sucks in the snow. Even my parents have said so when they drove it and my boyfriend and our friends witnessed it today.... It definitely depends on the conditions and probably the tires...
Old Dec 30, 2002 | 06:49 AM

my lancer is awwwsome in the snow
Old Dec 30, 2002 | 08:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Ayanami_OZ23
Thats good advice hobie...i have to agree its not the lancer but the tires...i think the tires really suck ***...i learned from experience...to hobie and zlancer remember that snow storm on christmas day...4 inches right...well i was on 280 doin bout between 50 and 55 mph....goin with flow of traffic not counting those that still pass me goin 70....anyways...i was just driving and suddenly my steering wheel turned hard right on its own...tried to turn its straight or at least left to counter turn but couldn't...i went straight across the highway and spun 360 about 5 times b4 hitting the curb taking out the exit sign and landing back in to the second lane of the highway...scariest **** that ever happened to me...your life does flash b4 your eyes...i couldn't see anything but trees then road then trees and road till the car stopped...word of advice...stock tires suck *** i dunno what happened to me but plz everyone be carefull...right now im looking for some snow tires for my rims...hopefully ill have better luck...
I hope you and your car are both ok.

Yes, that day/night I was inside keeping warm...until I went out, built a giant snowman (I'm talkin' well over 10' here) with my friends, and took a snowball to each eye. Didn't drive an inch till Friday.

I have awful tires for snow and I get by. It's all about knowing your car's handling characteristics and its ability to grip. Don't get daring or overestimate in bad weather.
Old Jan 2, 2003 | 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

today it happend
i was screwed
takin a right turn outa my edition my car just kinda didn't go right it just made a really wide one right into on coming traffing so this red duelly truck is heading right for me naturally i cut the wheel and punch it to the right even harder i get some traction and the car hops right and now i am heading for some railroad flashers so i cut back left but not as hard and punch it yet again i get nothing so i pull the e-brake and the backend came around and i recovered just behind me some dumbass did almost the same thing sept they slid right into the truck and then into the pole i made a very narrow escape and i stopped do help out cuz i wasn't sure if i caused that wreck or not the cops said i didn't so ..
lucky me and oh yeah the top speed i hit was like 10mph lol its all in slow mo lmao
Old Jan 2, 2003 | 10:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Glad to hear you're safe. Sucks for the guy behind you though.
Old Jan 2, 2003 | 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Christmas day me and the wife went snowboarding in PA... conditions were awesome but so much so that we couldnt leave that night. Luckily some people we came with had a cabin that night so we stayed on the floor in the cabin that night. I wasnt in my lancer though, we drove her Jetta up there (I wasnt trying to get salt and crap all over my car right after I cleaned it). They got about 18" that day while we were there, and it was still snowing when we were trying to leave.

What REALLY pissed me off is that the arcade got rid of Pump it Up... it used to be the only good game in the arcade.
Old Jan 2, 2003 | 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

chains

use the e brake man grate to get the car pointed in the direction you want to go then nail gas. A rough or fast releas of the clutch down shift can do the same thing even better . If you have an auto like me plan the turn well ahead of time . and get better tires.

Quick Reply: lancer sucks in snow