Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

lancer sucks in snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2003 | 07:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My Lancer did better than what I expected in the snow. Not the best vehicle for snow but it is better than my fiance's Focus.
Old Jan 28, 2003 | 08:41 AM

Originally posted by HobieKopek

-Get winter tires. The stock Yokos really weren't bad. I had no problems last year. My Falkens SUCK in thesnow, but I don't have money to buy another set of wheels and tires right now (yet). Next year will be different.
Usually I don't consider age a factor in driving in snow. However since one of you guys were talking about it... I'm 20 and I own a 2002 OZ, I've made no significant mods to the car and the Tires & Rims are stock. I've found that the car handle VERY VERY poorly in snow, I live in NY and thank god it doesn't snow here all year round. I min. you start your car the traction is almost completely gone. I managed to slide down an entire street. Hobie what's your advice for tires? What brand do you go with that is SAFE for the snowy weather?
Old Jan 28, 2003 | 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

I guess we can't say the evo will suck in the snow....it just DOMINATED snow drift....and they were playin it safe!
Old Jan 28, 2003 | 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by LancerReiNi

Usually I don't consider age a factor in driving in snow. However since one of you guys were talking about it... I'm 20 and I own a 2002 OZ, I've made no significant mods to the car and the Tires & Rims are stock. I've found that the car handle VERY VERY poorly in snow, I live in NY and thank god it doesn't snow here all year round. I min. you start your car the traction is almost completely gone. I managed to slide down an entire street. Hobie what's your advice for tires? What brand do you go with that is SAFE for the snowy weather?
Finally, someone who has the same problem as me! I live in NY too and I can't control my car lately since we have been having all this ****ty weather.. I slide everywhere. These tires are absolutely awful! I have a one-year warranty on them until next month.. anyone think I have a chance of getting a new set? hahaha My dad said there's no way they will give them to me.
Old Jan 28, 2003 | 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

my galant does great in the snow. but then its the way u drive it. i mean usually i'll do good in the snow. but the other day, i was driving it in the snow, i did horrible. but then i was driving really agressively. as long as you control urself on the foot pedal u would do great.

when i get my 17's, i'll have 3 sets of wheels for my car. i'll use the stock wheels for a spare set. u know stuff to burn up at the track whatever, then my aftermarket 16's for snow tires. and have a set of summer wheels on the 17's. aftermarket plus sized wheels most likely won't do as great in snow as stock wheels. in most cases, ur gonna have what are known as summer wheels on them and to top things off, chances are, they are gonna be wider then stock. and wider doesn't mean better in the snow.
Old Jan 28, 2003 | 11:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by LancerReiNi
Hobie what's your advice for tires? What brand do you go with that is SAFE for the snowy weather?
The stocks Yokohamas were fine for me and I intend on using stocks next year as well unless I happen upon a bunch of extra money. Really, it's about knowing your car and how it will handle under whatever conditions. I never had a problem in the snow or ice until I had performance tires on. Rain on the stocks was another issue altogether though.

If you're sliding then chances are you're 1. giving it too much gas, 2. in too low of a gear for road contitions and therefore putting too much torque to the wheels 3. braking suddenly and/or locking your brakes or 4. just on a really awful section of road and ****ed from the getgo.

EDIT: The reason I wouldn't buy just winter tires is because they have awful tread life and that can be quite expensive. Just learn to drive slowly and do everything very gradually.
Old Jan 28, 2003 | 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek

The stocks Yokohamas were fine for me and I intend on using stocks next year as well unless I happen upon a bunch of extra money. Really, it's about knowing your car and how it will handle under whatever conditions. I never had a problem in the snow or ice until I had performance tires on. Rain on the stocks was another issue altogether though.

If you're sliding then chances are you're 1. giving it too much gas, 2. in too low of a gear for road contitions and therefore putting too much torque to the wheels 3. braking suddenly and/or locking your brakes or 4. just on a really awful section of road and ****ed from the getgo.

EDIT: The reason I wouldn't buy just winter tires is because they have awful tread life and that can be quite expensive. Just learn to drive slowly and do everything very gradually.
there is the key. i mean, yeah it sucks in the snow compared to an audi quattro, but compared to other cars i think it is pretty decent. start off in 2nd gear, go real slow, and try and stay in as high a gear as possible. good advice hobie!
Old Jan 28, 2003 | 03:05 PM

Snow

Last winter the car was very good in the snow. But now with 12k miles on my Yokos it is not as good (but still acceptable). It's all about the tires! You really only need 2 snow tires for a FWD car, so go spend the $150 if you are having trouble staying on the road.

And if you have a manual, it helps to start in 2nd gear for slipper conditions.