Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

lancer sucks in snow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2002, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lancer sucks in snow

i just tried to go out and drive and i had 0 traction and the car doesnt like to change direction in the snow, i have some 17 inch konigs with kumho tires. i got less than a mile away and had to turn back
Old Dec 24, 2002, 04:09 PM

I live in Mi.. we don't have a whole lot of snow here but when there was some snow.. I had contol issues too... . Also, mine is a stickshift, I am used to a auto. so that could be it to...
Try and look at the loss of control as a preventitive safety measure... to not crash your lancer... Gotta see the glass as half full never half empty...

Ps. Got the Regional areas... We have started a car club in&around your state... If you are interested you can join... MLC(MidwestLancerClub) No requirements,, and you have to love to eat at HOOTERS + have a good time... There are pics if you are interested!!
Old Dec 24, 2002, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Re: lancer sucks in snow

Originally posted by agsmooth84
i just tried to go out and drive and i had 0 traction and the car doesnt like to change direction in the snow, i have some 17 inch konigs with kumho tires. i got less than a mile away and had to turn back
That's not the fault of the car. You may want to try snow tires.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

The Lancer only sucks in snow because you have all to large wheels mounted with all to skinny rubber.

Last edited by pjal84; Dec 24, 2002 at 04:54 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 05:19 PM

It all depends on the driver and the tires. I live in NY and I have no problems in the snow with my Lancer
Old Dec 24, 2002, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love driving this car in the snow. i don't think it has any problems. its just like any other car basically. you just have to learn how to drive it in the snow.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

lancer do suck in snow!! i have michelin all season tires on my stock rim. i remember making a turn and my steering wheel turn all the way but my car didnt wanna go no where we need AWD system in our car!!!!!
Old Dec 24, 2002, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Be gentle, Be Smooth, and know your limits... Better to find out how your car handles in an empty parking lot than on a back country road late at night. I found that the Lancer handles just as well, if not better than any FWD car I've driven.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

all season tyres are okay for mud and snow..but i still belive if u guys live in the place that snows 24/7 in the winter....GET SNOW TYRES!!!...w/ rims packages....rally style!!...mah..i wish it snows in s-Cali
Old Dec 24, 2002, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

i live in indy, this is the 1st big snow of the winter, doesnt snow often enough to get snow tires
Old Dec 24, 2002, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

in Boulder where i live they never plow around my streets so i slide all over the place...Im more worried about other people more than myself though. My lancer isnt a fan of inclimate weather, but comes april it will be all good!
Old Dec 24, 2002, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

ive had some snow troubles i learn to deal thou aint too bad once i learned how to throw it round and not loose control hook the oz rims with good snow mud rally tire and sport the 17's in the summer...
Old Dec 25, 2002, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Re: lancer sucks in snow

Originally posted by agsmooth84
Lancer's, even on the OEM "all-season" (I really hate that term) tires generally do fairly well in the snow. They are always among the easiest cars to move when we are plowing the lot.

The problem you have is your 17" wheel and Kuhmo (presumably some high performance model) tires. If you get serious snow where you live then at the very minimum you should be putting the OEM wheel/tire package back on the car for winter driving or ideally, putting a set of true snow tires on the OEM rims.

"All-season" tires have to be one of the biggest scams ever inflicted on the driving public. The very idea of a single tire that has to get good traction in 90+ degree heat, rain, and snow and ice in sub-zero temps while lasting 60-80k miles is preposterous. Most all-season tires are not designed for serious winter use. Many don't even undergo winter testing. When they say "all-season", they are not usually thinking of Minnesota type winters. Ever since I got my license I have always had two sets of wheels/tires for my cars. One 3-season set - usually a high performance type and a winter set. Optimal traction all-year-round. No comprimises.

It's the only way to go.

OK, I'm done ranting now.
Old Dec 25, 2002, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

It was snowing last night and I was driving to the city and the car does suck in snow...i had trouble stopping...trouble accelerating. and it was swirving everywhere. maybe it's the tires but i got yokahamas
Old Dec 25, 2002, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

I live in Florida no snow here ever!

Quick Reply: lancer sucks in snow