Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

whats the highest legal temp for HID?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2005, 06:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
ha...you gotta be kidding me right?....again...dont give false advie when it comes to things like this....especially in cali....people get harassed here for having a hint of blue in their lights on civics and what not...all day long...a cop wont stop you for having lights 99% of the time...they will stop you you for speeding and also bust for your lights
Actualy, I'm not kidding at all.

The law stipulates that only emergency vehicles are allowed to have blue lights, so that's why people that put in blue pep-boys bulbs are getting stopped foir it.

HID's on the other hand, which are DOT approved, are somewhat like a prizm, thy appear different colors from different angles.

The only thing that MAY be illegal about a certain type of HID is if the temperature range is too high(which is what the original post was about).
Old Feb 5, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

There is no aftermarket HID system that is DOT approved. If there is, let me know so I can buy it.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 09:01 PM
Account Disabled

then why would the exact same thing be legal in stock form, but not aftermarket.

That makes absolutely no sense.

If you're so concerned about DOT approval, then just buy the OEM HID system from mitsu.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Still wouldn't make it approved for use unless it was installed by the manufacturer.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES
Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits "can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others," NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

"These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road," said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. "And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law."

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:35 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Dookie
Still wouldn't make it approved for use unless it was installed by the manufacturer.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES
Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits "can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others," NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

"These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road," said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. "And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law."

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said
It's bull, i know.

It's quite unfortunate, and stuff like this needs to stop.

all it would take is some common sense on the bureaucratic end, and we'd all be much better off.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
Actualy, I'm not kidding at all.

The law stipulates that only emergency vehicles are allowed to have blue lights, so that's why people that put in blue pep-boys bulbs are getting stopped foir it.

HID's on the other hand, which are DOT approved, are somewhat like a prizm, thy appear different colors from different angles.

The only thing that MAY be illegal about a certain type of HID is if the temperature range is too high(which is what the original post was about).
the thing that makes HId's look like a prizm is the projector...evo's, celica, BMW's, benzo's, lexus'(tho i dont think the is300 has it).....if you took the bulb out the color temp of a stock HID system would be 4300k. the reason that HID's are illegal is that on some headlights(that are not made for HID's) give off too much glare due to the type of housing. thats why most cars that come with HIDS have projectors.....OH....and there is no such thing As a DOT approved HID that is aftermarket
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GreenPsycho
i think i want 6000k or 6500k. reason is i saw a motorcycle the other day with a hid headlight, and it had the sweetest blue look i've seen: not stupidly blue or purple, but nice and clear, think the bmw or benz type lights.

anywho, i asked him and he said they were 8300k, and although i don't want anything that colored and dull, i definately don't want something as white as 4300k.

back on topic, heres my question: at xenondepot, why is the 6500k kit 200 bucks cheaper than the 6000k kit? difference in quality (one being the xenondepot hid conversion, one being xtreme hid conversion)?
reason would probably(im taking a guess here) be different components such as balasts and bulbs...on one kit you might be getting phillips and on the other hella, i say always look for the the pihllips brand, as they are the best in the bussiness
Old Feb 5, 2005, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

heres a pic of my 6500k kit
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

if you go to chp website..., their guidelines states that headlights can only be WHITE......well up to 5200 k is pure white......so that should be legal regardless of what the system is, halogen or HID..but of course thats only my opinion...heheh
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

^ yup...i actually used to carry around a CHP pamphlet that stated what was legal and what not...A cop even tied to tell me once that any modification to headlights are illegal(i wasnt in my car)...in other words he was being an ***, so i told him, in good manner that he better read upp on current laws...he kinda laughes and said oookkk...he didnt look more than a few years older sthan me so he might have been a rookie...

my only thing with white lights are who defines it to be white?...cus 4300k is borderline yellow, and 5300k is pure white, so i guess its what the cop feels like at the moment...good luck
Old Feb 6, 2005, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
none...zero.....nada....

HID's(aftermarket) are not legal in any kind of in any state....
not true, the sylvania hid fogs are dot approved and can be used on any car w/ the same restrictions as any foglights. also sylvania make complete headlight assemblies for domestic trucks that are 50 state dot legal. note: only chevy full size, ford full size are included, however the highest i would go while still having some sort of legality is about 4700k. my girlfriend just got a ticket w/ the 8000k bulbs i put in her accord.
check out this link to understand what i am saying:
sylania
even in cali, these are legal,
unfortiunately, not for regular lancers

Last edited by mrbkkt1; Feb 6, 2005 at 03:37 AM.