Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Don't Want to Get Raped at the Muffler Shop, HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't Want to Get Raped at the Muffler Shop, HELP!!!!

Hey guys, I have the 2.25 piping (midpipe) and a muffler waiting to be put on my car. I went arouond trying to find a place that can weld the midpipe together since its in two peices. Then I want to run a pipe just from the muffler to the midpipe... Look at the pics. I went to Ultimate Motorsports http://www.ultimatedc.com/ and the quoted me at 250 bucks for the install! For 315 I can get a new magnaflow or buscher exhaust and do it myself! My question is... How much should I expect to pay to have this work done? Would it be cheaper to sell the midpipe and just have them do a catback exhaust with the muffler? I paid 100 for the midpipe and 50 for the muffler. I wanted to keep it under 250 total for everything but is that possible? Look at the pics to see what I need done. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Don't Want to Get Raped at the Muffler Shop, HELP!!!!-carparts051.jpg   Don't Want to Get Raped at the Muffler Shop, HELP!!!!-carstuff00004.jpg  
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'd say even $100 for the install is high, shops in my area will do custom tubing (nothing too fancy though) and put your muffler on for $50
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:41 AM
.L.
Evolved Member

if you needed the material, i'd say $70-$100. but since you already have the pipping. they should do it for $40-$60. the quote you stated is wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

The shop charged me $40 to install an "axel back" setup on my RA. Basically I had the muffler and the tip. He installed my parts and he supplied a few make up pieces of pipe and hangers.

You need to take into consideration shop time & this is stainless steel. Most places charge $45-$60+ per hour & stainless is hard to work with and is spendy.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Did you happen to cuss out the guy at Ultimate? Cause you should have. Haha... I'd say if places are going to try to rip you off just sell what you got to someone on here and go with a Mangaflow exhaust and I'll help you put it on.

Fox
Old Feb 7, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

bump for a bunch of views and hopefully some more posts
Old Feb 7, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

i just had a midpipe made for my car, they welded it into my axleback and my testpipe and it cost me $65 for that.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

^ the guys at mufflers and more are great....
Old Feb 7, 2005, 07:14 PM

I was going to do the same thing as you N1te and I got quoted around $75-80 i think. But then just had them make a complete cat-back for $275 with a Magnaflow muffler. What i pretty much did was have him make me a magnaflow catback with the 2.25 inch piping and the muffler. Sounds and looks great.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
speaking of mufflers and exhuast systems. i was going to buy a magnaflow exhuast system for my 03 ES but there pretty expensive, so for now i just wanted to get a magnaflow muffler and save up later for the whole exhast system. but there mufflers cost around $80-$100. are there mufflers really that good for that pricing? or should i go with something cheaper?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Best to just save up and get the cat back. Delay the speed for a little bit.

I should have done the same although I wanted a different look. I got a shop to install my midpipe and make an axle back to complete it with a muffler they sold.

They ended up having to cut the midpipe (2.25) and weld on a section at the end with the muffler. The regular muffler and install was 149 I think I paid 200 for everything. Theoretically I could have just had a magnaflow cat back made for 250. I think that I was taken a bit as I already had the midpipe.

I love the sound and performance though so no complaints here.

WADAD
Old Feb 9, 2005, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adotwhite
speaking of mufflers and exhuast systems. i was going to buy a magnaflow exhuast system for my 03 ES but there pretty expensive, so for now i just wanted to get a magnaflow muffler and save up later for the whole exhast system. but there mufflers cost around $80-$100. are there mufflers really that good for that pricing? or should i go with something cheaper?
You can get a muffler for 50 bucks if you want. What you are paying for when you put down 80-100 is quality and a name brand. If I were you I would just wait, stack your coins and save up the 315 bucks needed to get a Magnaflow Catback and install it yourself. It isn't that hard and saves on the cost of the install.

Fox
Old Feb 9, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

I had a magnaflow exhaust 2.25 piping and 3in muffler installed for $70 at the Meineke. I thought that wasn't too bad. maybe a little high