Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Confused!?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused!?!

"There are a variety of springs availbe for the Lancer. Keep in mind the lower you go the less likely you are to achieve good tire grip which is key to performance!"
https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...agenumber=3&s=
i found that through the evolutionm site and was confused at that statement. ithought lowering the car was to improve handling.
according to that statement, i get the impression that it makes the car more prone to slip rather than grip!?!
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

i think lowering it is mostly for looks, maybe a little better handling, and i dunno about grip, i got some progress springs from road race sitting next to me i cant wait to install all my **** after i get my retarded *** clutch fixed
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

lowering springs are for looks and lower center of gravity coilovers are more for show if i remember right since they ment to slam a car
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

some coilovers are meant for show, some are meant for the track. With a good coilover set you'll be able to adjust the hardness of your suspension, so that you can have something really stiff at the track, but still be able to drive your car on the street without shaking your teeth out of your head. They'll prolly let you slam your car to the weeds too if thats important to you... Lowering spring can also offer vastly improved handling if paired with a good set of shocks. The only way lowering springs will give you WORSE grip than stock is if they really really suck...
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:26 PM

yes lowering a car helps lowering the center of gravity which in turn will help handling. however this is only good to a certain point. the engineers that designed the car designed the geometry of the suspension to work a certain way. when you lower the car it changes that geometry diminishing grip. this can be countered by aligning the car but this is only good to a certain point. you will eventually exceed the limits of the orginal parts and alignment adjustments, and at that point the suspension geo will be so off you will lose grip. you pretty much have to find a point where you can lower it as far as possible without having messed up alignment or start diminishing grip. one way to tell is if you start to see uneven wear across your tires, such as the inside or outside wearing more than the rest. another way of measuring this is with a pyrometer (temp sensor) and checking across the entire tire for even temps after a hard run. another advantage to springs is that they have an increased spring rate which can help handling; however, you can't really take full advantage of this without some good dampers to match them.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Confused!?!

Originally posted by rklancer
"There are a variety of springs availbe for the Lancer. Keep in mind the lower you go the less likely you are to achieve good tire grip which is key to performance!"
https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...agenumber=3&s=
i found that through the evolutionm site and was confused at that statement. ithought lowering the car was to improve handling.
according to that statement, i get the impression that it makes the car more prone to slip rather than grip!?!
The more you lower the car the less suspension travel will be available. A car riding on its bump stops is like a go-kart. The rule of thumb when lowering strut suspended cars has traditionally been you don't want to go more than an inch or so. More than that and handling deteriorates rather than improves.

Problem is, a few years back somebody discovered that the multilink suspensions on Honda's could be slammed down quite far - two inches or more - before handling became adversely affected. Now everybody wants that "slammed Honda look" but that just don't fly with the McPherson strut suspensions commonly used on other vehicles (and now Honda's as well).
Old Jan 12, 2003, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

so should i not bother with springs at all? or do the eibach prokit or progress springs?

as to redbeard 's response below, i think i feel the bumps too a pretty good amount right now with the stock springs one.... how much more am i gonna feel that? and do i still have enough room to avoid scrapin the bottom when travlin over a jersey pot hole?

should i avoid springs? just get a sway bar and strut bar?

Last edited by rklancer; Jan 12, 2003 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Yes get springs. I got Eibachs and my car handles much better. I just got my ralliart struts on the other day, and together with the springs the handling is sweet. But this is a tradeoff with comfort. Stiffer suspension means you feel more bumps/holes in the road. I think it is worth it though.