Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

coolant problem....please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005 | 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by twardOZRally
not necessarily true, many coolants now are orange
maybe mine is like the newest type with the sh*t color! it helps the radiator recycle what it eats and what it sh*ts.... maybe human should be evolved to that way.....someday.....

but yea, how much does the flushing cost and how long does it usually take? i dont want to leave my car overnight
Old Mar 13, 2005 | 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

i flushed my radiator last week went to autozone got the flushing liquid and 50/50 anti-freeze
dont know exact price but it was like no more than 20 bucks. i drained the old fluid and added the flush ing. and ran my car for 30mins with i:t i know the temp gauge was in the overheating position but i keep a close eye on my car to make sure nothing went wrong. after that i just drained it, flushed the rest with some water and added the anti-freeze.
1st thing i noticed is that the inside of my radiator looks like new now, havent had any prob with it so far
Old Mar 13, 2005 | 10:32 PM
EvoM Administrator

With your anti-freeze being that color, I'd be seriously worried about your head leaking. It looks like oil has mixed in with your coolant. Change your oil and see if the oil you drain out has any trace of anti-freeze (smell is one way to tell). Also, do a compression check. If you don't know how to do this stuff (guessing you don't) have someone do it for you, preferably a trustworthy mechanic or a knowledgeable friend.
Old Mar 14, 2005 | 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

arrgh, i obviously dont know any of these crap. I dont even know what the heck kind of oils are in my car so i dont know what you were refering to....... And i dont have a trustworthy mechanic because ive never had my car checked or anything yet. And no knowledgeable friends either..... i guess i'll bring my car to Chevron down Berryessa Road, they should be trustworthy....
Old Mar 14, 2005 | 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

well if there is a leak somewhere there should be some trace of it in you oil pan, when u checked the fluids did u notice if the oil on the dip stick was dif than usual, cuz if so then u have a crack in your block somewhere or it can just be u have really really really dirty anti-freeze.
Old Mar 14, 2005 | 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodreamer01
well if there is a leak somewhere there should be some trace of it in you oil pan, when u checked the fluids did u notice if the oil on the dip stick was dif than usual, cuz if so then u have a crack in your block somewhere or it can just be u have really really really dirty anti-freeze.
whats an oil pan, and which dip stick do i check?
Old Mar 15, 2005 | 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

check ur oil dip stick, i think its the white one that says engine
Old Mar 15, 2005 | 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

that stick is fine, no trace of coolant. I think maybe just that the previous owner took a dump inside my coolant bottle. i'll have it checked this weekend, Oh and bte my car runs normal, dont sense any problem except its weak like a civic.
Old Mar 15, 2005 | 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

then a radiator flush should do the job of getting most of the stuff out, might want to do another flush after the 1st just incase there r still some leftovers in there somewhere
Old Mar 19, 2005 | 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

i poured all the coolant out into a clear bottle and it appeared dark green, looked really transparent, no trace of any oil or anything inside the coolant. Then i let the coolant sat in the clear bottle while i went to have dinner and watched tv. And when i came back, there was a layer of brown crap on the surface of the coolant and on the side of the bottle, it looked like contaminated sewage water..... So i took the coolant bottle out and rinsed it with water. Then i added the 50/50 in there. One strange thing was that the 50/50 was light green..... not dark green like the one in my car before. My uncle told me to do this, but i dont know if there's a problem.... will the nasty crap still be inside the radiator? what happens if the remaining dark green coolant mix with the new 50/50? thanks...
Old Mar 19, 2005 | 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

if u mix the green coolant it shouldnt be a prob as long as u dont put dex-cool or the pink rad. fluid in there. as for the sewage water was it only on top layer of the water if so it might be oil
Old Mar 19, 2005 | 09:35 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Do not use Prestone in the yellow jug in a Japanese car ! they contain silicates and will destroy your water pump fast. Use only OEM Mitsu coolant or Honda coolants which contain no silicates that can cause cavitational erosion of water pump and cooling system.
Old Mar 19, 2005 | 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

AHHH...... it probably was oil in the sewage coolant.... it was only on the surface.... and what do i do now!? i used the 50/50! where can i get OEM mitsu or honda coolant? i dont wanna go to dealer...too far....
Old Mar 19, 2005 | 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

will the normal coolant that i have to add water into work? how about brands other than prestone from autozone or kragen?
Old Mar 20, 2005 | 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

yea i went to dealer and got some of the no silicates coolant, autozone here didnt have any no silicates, id also check 2 c how oil got into the radiator, u might have a blow head gasket, if so u might have radiator fluid in you oil 2