Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

coolant problem....please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if u are going to put new coolant in your car u need to flush the system of the old and nasty coolant......

What you Need:
1. 1 bottle of coolant (unless handbook otherwise specifies)
2. 1 pair of Pliers
3. 1 Hose w/ Running Water
4. Enough Gas in your tank to be revving your engine for about 5 minutes (+ or -)
4. 30 minutes time

How To:
1. Let your engine cool down for a loooong time. Make sure you have no pressure in your coolant tank by feeling your upper radiator hose. If it is firm, dont open the cap, as coolant will burst out everywhere. There is a way to release pressure from under the cap, but if you a re a newbie dont screw with this.

2. pull off the drain plug on the radiator and empty the old coolant out. The best way to get off the drain plug without breaking it (since i believe it is plastic) is a good grip with pliers, being carefull not to rip the plastic.

3. stick a hose inside the cap of your radiator

4. turn on the water

5. then turn on your engine after you start getting a steady line of water coming out of your radiator.

6. Rev the engine up to about 2-4k RPM for about 3-5 minutes. By that time you should be getting nothing but clear clean water dumping out of your coolant tank through the top of the radiator and the drain plug. If you are getting some brown sitll, it is probably rust in your system, which means you will probably be doing a thermostat change in the not-so-distant future because it will plug up in all likelyhood.

7. Once you get clear water coming out for a while, turn off the car.

8. Redrain the radiator.

9. Put the plug back in the radiator.

10. Fill the radiator with 1/2 coolant and 1/2 water. Top it off.

11. Then turn on the engine (still without putting the cap back on your radiator). The coolant level will dorp a little bit from coolant being pumped into the engine via your water pump.

12. Top it off again with the engine running, and then cap the radaitor.

13. Let your car warm up to optimizing running temperature (via guage inside).

14. Then feel your upper radiator hose back under the hood. It should be firm. This means you have pressurized your system, and have successfully changed your coolant.

If any of this doesnt make sense, or i have missed a step....lemme know and ill edit it.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

get the prob fixed yet?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

*sighs* why didn't I read this thread before I bought some of that 50/50 crap and put some into my car. Man, this sucks. I only needed some because I drove down to Panorama City today, and I figured I should fill up my coolant because it was a lil low. So I just bought whatver was cheap at Pepboys and put it in the car.

Will even a lil bit of the 50/50 stuff affect the radiator? I only put a lil, my coolant was really low, just needed a bit to fill it up.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

i dont think a little should matter alot, only if u fill the whole radiator and run it for a long time water pump wont last long
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm, aight, least I know now.

I'll just stop using that crap and get the OEM stuff you guys mentioned above. I can get it at any dealership? Is it mad expensive though? Damn dealerships rape peeps wallets.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

my "stealership" charged me alot dont remember how much but it enough for 4 full fills
Old Mar 24, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt get it fixed yet, because school is in the way this week and i'll be leaving for Hong Kong next week. But i'll get it fixed asap after i get back