Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

ATTN: Cover you VIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005 | 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

no need for that VIN plate, and my car isnt really daily driven much
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

have fun getting pulled over ozlancerlunitic just make sure your wearing crummy clothes when they thow you on the ground

-Steve
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

lol, I don't know about taking it off, but as far as covering it up, thats what I'm doing. I didn't get my VIN's etched onto the glass. (it is easy for a theif to get those etched numbers off anyways, we have a chemical at the dealership you spray on and it wipes right off)
Yes, the dealerships are supposed to ask for ID and everything. That is where their craftiness comes into play. They have been doing VIN lookups and printing out fake IDs, fake SSN cards, and fake titles for the cars.
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
lol, I don't know about taking it off, but as far as covering it up, thats what I'm doing. I didn't get my VIN's etched onto the glass. (it is easy for a theif to get those etched numbers off anyways, we have a chemical at the dealership you spray on and it wipes right off)
Yes, the dealerships are supposed to ask for ID and everything. That is where their craftiness comes into play. They have been doing VIN lookups and printing out fake IDs, fake SSN cards, and fake titles for the cars.
look man i'm a chemist, and if the glass is etched i only know of a few chemicals that can etch glass. I don't know of any chemical that can "wipe off" etched glass unless you're just etching over that one spot. strange. lemme know what the product is called if you can.
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

good info but thats a no no in illinois
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

HiHeatEVO:
When I do the window etchings at our dealership, they come in little strips that you stick to the glass. Then you put the special chemical on the back of the sticker, and let it sit for 30 sec. Then peel off the etching sticky backing and the VIN is bonded to the glass..or whatever.
The chemical I used to "wipe off" the etching was actually a spoke rim cleaner by automagic. It is a very hazardous chemical and will burn you really bad. (just the mist from when you spray it on feels like fire ants all over your arm lol) It eats everything imaginable off of rims (or anything else for that matter). One time I accidently sprayed it on gunmetal rims to get the brake dust off and it ate the gunmetal coating right off the rim. I then discovered that the same spoke rim cleaner eats the etching off of the glass.
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Wow I havent heard about this until now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Yes!!!! This is so true. Etch the VIN off of everything on your car! The hood, the windows, everything! That way the thieves can't steal it!
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info.
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Etching the VIN off the windows isnt illegal is it? I thought we were only to go as far as covering the VIN and not removing them?
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Its not illegal to take them off the windows.. it is only an optional spot you can put the VIN if you want. I don't have my VIN on the windows of my car. You cannot remove them from your car if it is OEM, you can cover it up though. If the cops ask to see it, you have to show them.
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

thats new news?
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Not really that new, but lately there has been an increase of people doing it where my uncle is in florida. He told me about it while visiting last week.
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
HiHeatEVO:
When I do the window etchings at our dealership, they come in little strips that you stick to the glass. Then you put the special chemical on the back of the sticker, and let it sit for 30 sec. Then peel off the etching sticky backing and the VIN is bonded to the glass..or whatever.
The chemical I used to "wipe off" the etching was actually a spoke rim cleaner by automagic. It is a very hazardous chemical and will burn you really bad. (just the mist from when you spray it on feels like fire ants all over your arm lol) It eats everything imaginable off of rims (or anything else for that matter). One time I accidently sprayed it on gunmetal rims to get the brake dust off and it ate the gunmetal coating right off the rim. I then discovered that the same spoke rim cleaner eats the etching off of the glass.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I didn't realize those were just special stickers. Those aren't actual etchings as i had previously thought. That chemical is probably a mix of methanol, dichloromethane(methylene chloride), and some organic base like triethylamine. That mixture does actually etch glass to a point, but it wouldn't remove a true hydrofluoric acid etching. I've felt the burning myself a few times. A little water to wash away the excess and the irritation will go away. It actually burns more than like conc. sulfuric acid, but it doesn't do as much damage as sulfuric acid does.
Old Apr 15, 2005 | 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

^--yup. Roger that.