Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

ATTN: Cover you VIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2005 | 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

ATTN: Cover you VIN!!!

Hey everyone,
I would just like to help protect anyone here from car theft. My uncle just came up to visit with me from Florida. He works with national security investigating thefts and other security related issues. He said the new thing people are doing is writing down your VIN number (located on the dash board in the front windshield) and going to the dealership and getting keys made for the car. Anyone can do this with a simple writing down of a VIN number and faking an ID and going to any mitsu/car dealer. He said lately around Jacksonville, FL there have been quite a few of these type thefts with nicer looking cars. I would just like to let everyone know that you can protect yourself by putting a piece of black Electrical Tape over your VIN number on the dash. It is not illegal to put tape over your VIN number, it is just added protection to a car theft.
Thanks for your time.
wiretap.

Sticky please?
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

this is good to know...but has there been any news that we can find about this...thanks for the info!!
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

nwwicceee thanks for the help man! im really paranoid when it comes to keeping my car from getting stolen. i have a good alarm and a autolock thing on my brake and i barely sleep at night lol. but yah im going to cover mines up tomorrow morning on my way to work, thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/vintheft.html

There is a link I found as a 1st search result from google. There are 100's of stories out there. I'm just looking out for everyone who cares about their car.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the info.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

You're welcome.. anyone agree on STICKY??
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

yah sticky fa sho! but hey quick question. shouldn't our dealers now be more protective on who to give copy of our keys to now? they should ask for more than ID now, they should ask for a copy of a billing statement, ID, social security number etc etc
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the warning.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

hey buddy thats illegal in some states. like if your car is illegally parked the tow guy needs your vin number to tow your car, if it is not visible because you covered it with tape you can get in trouble...but lets just say your hat happend to be thrown over the dash and landed on it you might not get into to much trouble.

-Steve
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

the vin #'s are on all the windows too. i think this is an urban legend to a point. It may have happened a couple times, but just flukes maybe.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HiHeatEVO
the vin #'s are on all the windows too. i think this is an urban legend to a point. It may have happened a couple times, but just flukes maybe.
Yah i have to agree to a certain extent. i'd whoop anyones as s at my dealership if they gave someone a copy of my key who had a fake ID.
Old Apr 12, 2005 | 11:07 PM
Account Disabled

you can get your vin # etched onto your windows as a theft deterent too. if it is etched into the glass a theif has to replace all the windows if they wanna get away w/ stealing your car
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

two nights ago i was just watching court tv channel and they had a story bout this i knoe its illegal to cover vin but modifying our rides is illegal might as well keep doing it illegal
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

since we're on the illegal topic take the VIN plate off, thats what i did.
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 04:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I hope you're kidding ozlunatic... hell i hope someone steals my lancer so i can get some insurance money

Quick Reply: ATTN: Cover you VIN!!!