Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

my car has a case of "piston slap"

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my car has a case of "piston slap"

so today i finally went to the dealership to see what the deal was w/ my car...

what was happening:

everytime the fan went on when i was idleing, it would make a loud clicking noise..(like click click click click...) and one my friends who drives a ralliart a few weekends ago told me how it sounds weird and i told him "ya i know, ill go check it out" so recently its been getting louder and pissing me off everytime i hear it...so i went like a hour ago and i got them to take a listen and the parts manager and the service guy told me I have piston slap and I also need a new short block too ...Im glad i did it now b/c im getting a turbo in the next month or so and i dont want problems like that (WARRANTY VOIDED ) but ya currently i have a Injen Cold Air Intake(which im hoping didnt ***in cause it, cause that would be uber gay!) but im hoping they dont all of a sudden be like "we traced it back to the intake, its not covered under warranty"

but ya, thats my story...im wondering how that would happen though...im wondering if im driving the car too hard or what
Old May 7, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i have that also. is it kinda like a faint clicking with like 1/2 second intervals
Old May 7, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

my engine makes noise too but i think its cuz its on

hope its covered under warranty man
Old May 7, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

i've had that same problem for about 30,000 miles, i just always thought it sounded like a belt slapping the plastic cover or something.
Old May 7, 2005, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imapunkclaimer
i think i have that also. is it kinda like a faint clicking with like 1/2 second intervals

i hope urs is ok now that u have a turbo...
Old May 7, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there anyway that you could describe the sound better? I'm starting to get really paranoid about sounds my car is making. Like, when I roll my windows all down and drive, I hear this almost like a wooshing with some clicking sound from under the car whenever I'm on the gas - hard to describe. Anyway, hope Mitsu covers it and you get your car back soon.
Old May 7, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
Is there anyway that you could describe the sound better? I'm starting to get really paranoid about sounds my car is making. Like, when I roll my windows all down and drive, I hear this almost like a wooshing with some clicking sound from under the car whenever I'm on the gas - hard to describe. Anyway, hope Mitsu covers it and you get your car back soon.
i havent given it yet, tuesday they want to test it or something and then order the parts. hmmmmmmm lemme talk to my friend tonight and I wonder if i video tape it u guys might get the sound, my camera is quite new so it might be a good chance...i have a server to host it and all that so...ill see
Old May 7, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

if i do get a sound capture of this, i hope one of the guru's might know why this coulda happened...
Old May 7, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

piston slap? i think its ur injectors dude ... they make that clicking noise, i would get a 2nd opinion before u get it worked on.
Old May 7, 2005, 05:49 PM
Account Disabled

Some of u guys could be having the lifter valve problem.... mitsu engines are notorious for having their lifter valve clicking. It's not a problem at all, just a nuissiance.
Old May 7, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

I know what your talking about. I hear it when I fire my car up. It isn't the injectors or lifters. This sounds diff... My last car use to get piston slap when it was really cold out, so I have grow to fear this noise. I am at like 72k, this p*sses me off almost as much as a notchy 3rd gear! >=\
Old May 8, 2005, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
Some of u guys could be having the lifter valve problem.... mitsu engines are notorious for having their lifter valve clicking. It's not a problem at all, just a nuissiance.

he was also mentioning that problem too
Old May 8, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

i think you should put back your stock intake all together so that they wouldn't give you any problems like that such as voiding the warranty. I went to the dealership to take care of some noise which I told them could be my clutch, they were like "it could be anything. You do have a short shifter." mitsu is so dumb.
Old May 8, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pick_a_Fro
i think you should put back your stock intake all together so that they wouldn't give you any problems like that such as voiding the warranty. I went to the dealership to take care of some noise which I told them could be my clutch, they were like "it could be anything. You do have a short shifter." mitsu is so dumb.

i dont have my stock one n e more. Also, they already know i have a cold air intake so..guess thats outta the question
Old May 8, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

does it make the sound just on one part of the engine? or is it all over? So, if you try to listen for the sound to find where it's coming from, does it only come from the cam gear side, the other end, or can you not pinpoint it?

Quick Reply: my car has a case of "piston slap"