Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

UGH! new car or turbo kit??!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by chrls000171
So my baby sister is turning 16 soon, anyways she really really likes my car and I was thinking about giving her my car instead of my parents buying her a new car. *trying to save my family some money here*. Anyways I was talking to my parents and basically this is what we were thinking:

Instead of buying my sister a new $20,000.00 car, they offered to give me
$8-10,000.00 and I pay the rest for any car I want. Basically I was could use the $10,000.00 as a down payment for any car.

BUT i have been saving for a turbo kit and i should have enough when my next paycheck comes in. I LOVE the idea of having a sleeper oz lancer...what would you guys/girls do in my shoes? Give my lancer to my sis and get a new car, or turbo my lancer?
I went through this same type of thing with my Camry. I had put on about $6000 worth of parts. I was looking at about another $6000 to get it to where I wanted, but at the end of the day, it still was a Camry. You're better off upgrading to a better platform.

For example, let's say you get the turbo. Do you need an LSD? Will you break anything? Clutch, etc.?

I ended up getting an Evo. Maybe a used WRX is more your speed, I dunno. I have dumped money into a FWD platform. I'm just trying to give you a heads up that it's a law of diminishing returns.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id get drop the lancer and get an ls1 trans am or camaro, or even go with some old school muscle.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Insurance =
Maintenance =
Payments =
Fun =
Old Jun 22, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

and my friends have more respect for my car then if i had an evo just because theyve never seen one like it before. i get people with g35s and stuff giving me props for doing it and they think it looks cleaner than an evo.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by imapunkclaimer
and my friends have more respect for my car then if i had an evo just because theyve never seen one like it before. i get people with g35s and stuff giving me props for doing it and they think it looks cleaner than an evo.

Are you doing this for yourself or your friends?

Do it for what you want to. Want a sleeper? Maybe you want a Lancer. Hate FWD (like me) go RWD or AWD. I'm just sayinig, you may get to a point where you want to do other things, and FWD can be limiting.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

i like my car, but i like it even more knowing other people like it to. i do care about what people think of my car or else id throw on some POS looking turbo.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:49 PM

10 grand could make a NICE down payment on an Evo or new Eclipse and leaving you with only 15-20k to finance. Good luck.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:16 PM

That's pretty much the same exact situation I had to go through, except I was the "little sister." My bro handed down a civic ex to me, while he got the new wrx. I have to say, I was a bit aggravated after some time realizing that I accepted his unwanted commodity, although I treasured the civic, and he couldn't be happier with the wrx. Bottom line, I think u might be happier with a new car. I tried to turbo the civic, but that was when all hell broke loose with the engine smoking as if it had a bad case of emphysema and the spark plugs looked like little pieces of turd. I'm not saying this is gonna happen to you, but I'm just letting you know my personal experience .
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

as much as we all love our lancers we all know their limited potential. If anyone one of us were in your shoes I think we'd all go for a new car, or at least a different car with more potential.

I can understand your not wanting to let the car go as you've put money and work into it. Heck I've put probably close to 6 grand in mine and I really dont have much to show for it. But if you can get something already well built and you've got 4 grand already saved up....

Get something nicer and use the turbo fund money to start modding the new car.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

didn't read this thread all the way through...but you know what would be funny. If you loved the Lancer so much, you use the 10,000 and the turbo $$ saved up and bought another Lancer. Next thing you know it's the same Lancer you gave your sister but turbo'ed. That'd be real dumb.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:07 AM

I say just throw down on a bada$$ 03 G35 or something...I'd definatley say get a car that's a least a year old....you'll get WAY more for you buck