Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

need ideas for new mods

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question need ideas for new mods

i just ran into a brain-freeze on what to do next to my lancer. what do you guys think i should do next as a performance mod? at the moment i can't afford a turbo. here is a list of my mods and a link to my ride if you want to check it out:

Current Mods:
- AEM CAI
- 2.5inch Cat Back
- NGK Iridium IV plugs
- Clutchmasters Flywheel
- RRM Limited Slip Differential
- RRM Stage II Clutch
- RRM/Split Second Piggyback ECU
- RRM 4-1 Header
- Custom Downpipe
- Apex'I N-1 Muffler
- Ground Control Coil Overs
- Porterfield RS-4 Pads
- Centric Slotted Discs
- RRM K-Bar
- B & M Short Throw

https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...e.php?vid=3450

i really can't decide what to do next. would upgrading the fuel system and delivery components help me gain more power? can somebody please help me out
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznFlip
turbo
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

RPW cam, cam gear, high-flow cat, etc. All this go for an extra, oh...maybe 15-20hp. Depending on your ability to tune. Good luck though.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Throttle body, intake manifold, bored fuel rail, sway bar, tie bar, rear strut bar, a set of real coilovers (tein or NEX), kartboy shifter bushings, take your pick really.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

maybe go for some adjustable dampers to allow you to tune the ride!
Old Jun 13, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
RPW cam, cam gear, high-flow cat, etc. All this go for an extra, oh...maybe 15-20hp. Depending on your ability to tune. Good luck though.
would it really be worth it to do cam and gear if i planed on doing forced induction in the future? wouldn't i have to get a new cam ground out for forced induction? i saw that on the RPW site a while ago...what kind of gains am i looking at by doing throttle body and intake manifold? i would only be expecting around a 5% increase or so and some improved throttle response...what do you guys think about changing the FPR? i believe RPW has one that opens it up to 3.5bar. i was under the impression that the combination between the FPR and bored fuel rail might leave me running pretty rich...am i headed in the right direction?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 08:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

High flow cat, Intake Manifold, Throtal body, Fuel Rail.
That will prepare you for:
Injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Pump, Wires, Plugs, MDS Ignition system.

With your current mods you will get the best gains from these. (best less then a supercharger or turbo)
Old Jun 13, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Get a turbo or super charger, it's worth the money.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:10 AM

4G93 IM... its cheap and a great mod...my .02
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jotun
4G93 IM... its cheap and a great mod...my .02
Definitely a good idea, but you're going to want to port match that IM before you install it. You can get one from a scrap yard for less than $100 shipped (unless engineerboy bought them all out ).
Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Throttle body, intake manifold, bored fuel rail, sway bar, tie bar, rear strut bar, a set of real coilovers (tein or NEX), kartboy shifter bushings, take your pick really.
Ditto - only don't get the lower tie bar if you plan on the full coilover setup.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

This always kills me because if you where to add up all of the mods you have it would probably be the same price as turbo. I would say just save your money for the turbocharger man. Oh btw how are thoes ground crontrol coilovers?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
Ditto - only don't get the lower tie bar if you plan on the full coilover setup.
Why?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

jsfour- not true. You spend the money on the turbo kit and then ask "hey, how can I make this even faster" and end up buying most of this stuff anyway. Don't lie- you know if you're intrested in a turbo, you're interested in performance and we all know there's no end in sight once you start modding

I wouldn't cam this car, unless I also wanted to get a new fuel management computer. And that's gonna be pricey. I just spent $300 on a WBO2 for my eManage and now I'm seeing that the ECU learns around piggybacks. So I had to spend another $60 to fool the ECU into thinking everything the eM tells it is ok. The support tool to even use these extra harnesses was another $40 (if you can find anyone who makes these anymore). Thank god the laptop was a freebie.
What I'm gettign at is the RRM piggy isn't tuned for the extras that a new cam is going to bring. From what I understand the RRM unit is pretty much as close to the edge as ou can safely get. cams will add a serious unknown into the mix.

TB and IM (G93 or G94) are your best bet for speed. Tein coilovers would be a great addition since with the SS kit you can adjust the dampening, and the basics are going to at least be stiffer than the stock dampers with the gc coilovers. What about some good competition tires (the new Falken Azenis 615s are supposed to be spectacular)?

You still have lots of options.

^^^ Tie bars make the rear end squirrley with a proper coilover setup. I had nothing but trouble and so did Urbanknight. He actually autocrossed with his bar, but I took mine off after some regular street driving (can't have that *** walking out on you during a turn on a regular city street- not good!)

Last edited by engineerboy; Jun 13, 2005 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: need ideas for new mods