Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

should i take my lancer on a roadtrip?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should be good...i drove across contry 3 times(cali to ga; ga to cali; and cali back to GA) with out any problems....juss make sure you got good oil and good wind sheild washer fluid...and a radar detector would help
Old Jul 21, 2005, 06:54 PM

I work for a courier service using my own car. I just got back from a round trip to Philadelphia PA from Pittsburgh PA. 10 hours of driving in one day. The only problem is the drivers seat is a bit lacking in the comfort department (needs more lower cushion adjustments)

I wish the highway mileage was better or the fuel tank was bigger. I was able to squeeze 300 miles out of the tank (all highway, 75-80 mph, cruise control, a few blasts over 90) but I mean squeeze because the car took 11.7 gallons.

As was mentioned many times above, if you car is well taken care of and you check the usual stuff before leaving and during the trip, you'll be fine.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

i drove 2 hours to clevaland and back on a half a tank avged about 32 mpg on that particular tank. i drove the speed limit the entire way though and was drafting some semis as well.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

car should be fine, just avoid potholes with those 17's or it'll be a real short trip. Radar detector is a good suggestion someone threw out, just check ahead of time what states dont allow them. I know Virginia doesnt, and yes, playing dumb will still get you a ticket for it.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've driven 4000 miles from texas to washington and back. so i dont see why not
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

I took my car from St. Louis to boston, you should be fine. The cruise control comes in handy...make sure you know how to set.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I got back from my trip just earlier this week. The drive was pretty far.. about 430 miles in one direction. It took around 7 hours there, 7.5 back because of a little construction. The roads were all blacktop and nice. Once I got over the Mackinac Bridge, the roads were awesome. Brand spankin new blacktop, curvy and hilly. I only made 2 or 3 pit stops the whole way, one for gas, and the other for bathroom breaks/food. My racing seats+4pt harnesses weren't all that comfortable though. I kinda got a little bit of a stiff neck and butt towards the end, but not too bad though. I've got low profile tires and eibach's, so the ride was stiff, but thats how I like the car to ride. I was packed full of cargo in the back seat, cause my trunk has my custom audio setup in it.. I had the air on the whole time since it was 97 degrees out. For the whole trip up, I got about 37mpg highway with the A/C on. Once I got up there in the Upper Peninsula, I didn't need the air as much. While driving around to various places, I got about 40mpg. On the way back I used the A/C for about half the drive, and got about 38mpg. Man I wanna go back up there with my OZ rims/tires just so I can go on all the dirt roads. They hold a qualifier for WRC up there on some of the roads I went on. They are perfect for that type of event. I went on one of them with my 205/40/R17's.. and lol, well... it was really bad. I couldn't go too fast without worry about denting a rim. I had a little fun though. As soon as I get around to re-sizing the pictures, I can post a few pix. Overall, the lancer gave me a quality ride on a long trip of about 4 out of 5 stars.

edit: Oh, I went from Monroe, MI to Deer Park, MI. Mapquest it if you want to see where I was. It is an awesome trip. Lots of fun stuff to see and do.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

i just got back from dricing to toney,al, to helen,ga. and in georgia, the roads get steep, and twisty, and it makes you very pissy if you drive an auto like me. and i had the ac on the whole time, and i had to idle alot. due to mass traffic and retarded family members. but overal, i drove their ~280 miles on one tank and drove around their on one tank. filled up sat night, and drove home today and still have a little left. i got about 28-30mpg the whole time. but those hills and idling killed me. and with auto, the low gear got alot of use, and without upgraded brakes or new tires, the roads got hairy. but no accidents cept for backing into a stump friday morning and bending one of the brackets on my bumper. it pulled right out, need a new bumper though. but anyway, my car was fine, all i have to do now, is get new tires, reoil my intake air filter, and clean the car. it runs fine on stock rims and tires, i imagine it would run fine with anything else, cept large sizes. but watch for your legs and *** wearing out.