Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Buy specs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by utiheadbanger
FYI...I HAVE. I go to a school with a Dyno Jet. I am not saying they make significantly more power ALONE...you have to add a throttle body and port-matched intake manifold, a FULL exhaust system and a new cam to experience that much more power. I had to work with a 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T and with all of this done...we had 30LB./FT. more torque and 35 more HP. My Street Legal performance teacher used to work for SVT in Florida and told our class the exact same thing...
it has been stated and proved over and over again, the only way to make a significant increase in power on a lancer is to go FI.

Last edited by oz4g94; Jul 30, 2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

OK first of all I am not arguing...I am stating experience...second of all I don't care if it says EvoM guru. I will start a debate with anyone. I know forced induction is the way to go...I also have figured this out. I just like debating for the sake of debate...it gets all opinions out and helps people learn more about the topic. I respect his knowledge...trust me...but as far as arguments...maybe you took this the wrong way.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i did blow it out of proportion sorry about that. it is true there wont be any difference in gains between the cai and sri for a lancer. for most other cars, there are larger gains, but the lancer falls up short, so you might as well just save the extra ~50-100 you would have spent on the cai and get the sri.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by utiheadbanger
FYI...I HAVE. I go to a school with a Dyno Jet. I am not saying they make significantly more power ALONE...you have to add a throttle body and port-matched intake manifold, a FULL exhaust system and a new cam to experience that much more power. I had to work with a 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T and with all of this done...we had 30LB./FT. more torque and 35 more HP. My Street Legal performance teacher used to work for SVT in Florida and told our class the exact same thing...
For what it's worth since this has been debated before, I have had both CAI and SRI. I have seen no significant increase or decrease in performance from changing to a SRI over a CAI. 1/4 mile times have remained consistent. The only true difference that increases performance is air temperature. Summer time (Hot) times are half a second slower than winter (cool) air temperatures.

I wish I had taken off the little fake mesh when I had the CAI but I wanted to protect the filter from road debris. During the summer raining months however the peace of mind of having a SRI vs a CAI is priceless. No hydrolock fears at all!!!!!

WADAD
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i did blow it out of proportion sorry about that
Not a problem. I have been in other forums where people criticize the fact that I actually go to school for automotive instead of just working on cars and trying to find a job. The Cold Air Intake tries to bring in colder air from the atmosphere. Yeah, you might be right about the Lancer, but I have seen significant amounts of torque (the REAL measure of engine power) increase in larger applications. I just can't stand when someone tries to say adding a K&N will give them 15HP...yeah, ok.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

I think the real gain in either a CAI or a SRI set up is just the larger air filter... it is almost pointless where it is mounted. Like it has been said before though, SRIs are cheaper in cost and no worries about hydrolock... plus they are easier to get to to clean and I like the way it looks in my engine bay, regardless of HP gain. I do notice that my third gear was stronger after my intake though... maybe that was just hopes and dreams... haha.

Fox

PS- Thriver you have a PM bro.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

It's not the size of the filter but the micron rating. The less microns it filters, the more air gets sucked in, but the dirtier the engine gets. Second, what I was saying about CAI is that the reason they are used is because colder air is denser than warmer air, which means more oxygen to mix with the fuel and burn.

he only true difference that increases performance is air temperature. Summer time (Hot) times are half a second slower than winter (cool) air temperatures.
Hence the reason for the faster 1/4 mile times in winter...