Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

issues with cedia headlight housings?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
issues with cedia headlight housings?

Just curious, but those of you with the Cedia headlight housings, how often do you go through the H1 bulbs? When I got the housings I put in Silverstars, but they only lasted about 3 weeks before they burned out (on average). I've replaced them a few times, and don't worry I'm not touching the bulb when I install them. But they just keep burning up. Right now I've got some cheapo $6.99 H1's in there and I'm at about 2 months on them now. I'd think that the nice higher quality bulbs should last longer. What's your experience?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. with my standard lancer 9007 bulbs, I ran into the same problems. You buy the nice Silverstars and they burn right out, plus you get harassed by the cops for having bright headlights. Then you buy the cheapest bulbs on the face of the earth and they last like 4x longer. I don't get it either. But I always make sure to get a cotton ball or cotton round and get some alcohol to clean off the bulb. That is what was recommended before the install on some instructions I have that came with some japanese bulbs I had. It seems to make them last longer, because even when you get a brand new bulb it could have fingerprints or oils you can't see on it from the factory. I think the partial problem could be unstable voltages causing headlights to burn out or the wiring is not that great going to them. Next I'm going to try a HID conversion kit from www.hidplace.com. I just can't win with cops though no matter what bulbs I buy.. =/ My stock bulbs were too dull for the cops, my silverstars were too bright and had a "blue haze", my purple HID style bulbs were too bright and had a "purple haze" , and now my yellow headlights are too yellow. ugh.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

I didnt know one was able to clean the bulbs with alcohol before they get installed?? Because just like you guys I was going through the same problem. So im going to try it out next time I change the bulbs.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

I didnt know one was able to clean the bulbs with alcohol before they get installed?? Because just like you guys I was going through the same problem. So im going to try it out next time I change the bulbs.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting. No cedias for me, but I installed some cheap ebay 9007 super bright bulbs and they are still burning bright 2 years and 20000 miles later
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, my stock bulbs lasted just fine for me, couldn't really use them with the new housings, so who knows how long they would have gone
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

my blue eurodezigns are made in america, and guaranteed for life. The are also DOT approved and used by police in the town they are made.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

i used cheap apc walmart hyperwhite bulbs.....a year later....still going strong
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

I'm talking specifically in the cedia housings tho, please keep that in mind
Old Aug 7, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

understood.....i have them with the apc bulb....a year later....no issue
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

i just grabbed the cheapos from checker.. still work great.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

funny you guys mention this problem cuz it's pissing me off too. I bough a set of Silverstars from Ebay and it one side burned out on me. I just thought maybe this was a crappy set. Also one side gave a purplish output while the other side looked stock. I replaced the bulb with a new one and it's still the same old shizzle.

It's lasting right now, but the output/color of the light is way off. It has to be the wiring cuz after all it's a DIY wiring job and I don't think it's holding up pretty well. I'm too damn lazy to rewire it better, but for some reason i think it'll still be the same thing if I do decide to rewire it.

I really don't want to be hassled by cops (which I haven't yet with the silverstars) but I want to get a HID kit. It only makes sense...hehe.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

i used to praise siverstars... but Now i think they totally suck.. yeah they are super bright blah blah blah.. but 20$ a friggin bulb... yes.. 1 bulb lolol you'd think u'r getting a superior product. but they blow like hookers! lol give it 2-6 months.. guaranteed to burn out.. They just suck like PIAA's do. just buy cheapo's! my cedia wiring is crappy to.. but i know that's because i spliced the wires.. im gonna change that and sodder them when i get out of work today! i know this will fix my black out problems. oh yeah im running Hyper White (no rice lol) Euro dezigns on the h1 and Nokya Yellow Ion's on the 9005's. oh yeah the Nokya bulbs.. i think i made a good choice.. with these. so far so good for 3 months... we'll see whats up!
Old Aug 8, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it just your passenger side burning out..? I don't have cedia's, but thats the only side that ever burns out. =/
Old Aug 8, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

when i had silverstars and the oem headlights i forgot which side blew out. but i was pretty pissed how much i bought them for vs. the usage that i got out of them.

my cedia problem is due to splicing wires.. theres a loose connection in there prolly because all the vibration the motor causes.

Quick Reply: issues with cedia headlight housings?