Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

This your stock light harness after aftermarket bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation This your stock light harness after aftermarket bulbs...

I installed my HID kit today. I bought one that was plug and play made to direct fit into my stock plugs.. BUT!! i couldn't because my stock plugs were so damaged from using aftermarket bulbs that draw more current than normal. SO i ended up having to splice wires and custom connect everything. I took out stock plugs and i tooks some pics for you guys. If you guys are running aftermarket bulbs such as MTEC, NOKYA, Silverstars, then you should really go to a auto store and pick up the harness adapter. My friend said its an adapter that goes on your stock plug and inside it has a relay to prevent drawing more current than standard. You can look and see on my plug that it was burned and melted. When i snipped the wires, the wires were actually melted together.

Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Good to know. I'm just about to change my headlights during christmas break. Have a list of things to do.

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

the truth hurts doesn't it when it comes to putting those aftermarket bulbs, esp. those that draw 100W plus. and, one more thing to warn you since you are putting in your hid kit..that is plug and play...make sure that there is a relay harness that allows you to draw power from the battery to power the ballasts and NOT your stock harness. those hid kit can do more damage to your car then what those bulbs did to ur stock....say...FIRE to ur stock harness. so, be very careful with that kit that you have.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

well, its not really plug and play no more ... cause as u can tell, i can't use those plugs so i had to custom connect everything... and yes the xenon depots do come with a relay that taps into the battery to draw power so it doenst melt the harness...
Old Nov 30, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh crap...i have silverstars in mine lancer...
Old Nov 30, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

you should check them periodically to see if your plug is burning or for any signs of melting wires. If you do, go get an adapter for your stock harness to regulate the power it draws. That'll help save your harness from looking like mine.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

where can i get dat harness and how much?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

My friend told me aboutt he harness thing. i just did a google search and i found this for you. it's a heavy duty wiring harness. Here's the link to the 9007 model which is for our lancer.

http://store.racinglab.com/kyoplheduwih3.html

edit: shop around for somethign of the sort or you can purchase that one. I just found that within 20 seconds to give you an idea of what it is.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

No problems with my Silverstars...had them on from about March.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

well i've had mine for about 2-3 years but i also had different other type of bulbs... just a word of caution when u use those bulbs that draw lots of currents
Old Dec 5, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

this exactly happened to me too just a week ago. im runnin on my own custom connection (temporary) .. But from what i think, it could have gotten wet or really moisted and went crazy.. So right now im still tryin to look for the stock socket. Because the dealer only sells the whole harness which is really expensive...
Old Dec 5, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
KYO is the company that makes the "high power wiring upgrade"

The only problem I see if that it is just a t harness that connects to your existing wiring and then connects to your lights...I dont see any kind of relay or anything to prevent too much current drawl..

I will devise a cheap solution to this problem and post up pictures with my install...
Old Dec 5, 2005, 02:45 PM

If you only want to splice on a new 9007 socket, you can but them at any wal-mart in the auto section. Sometimes they are easy to overlook, but they are there. I suggest buying them from wal-mart because they are the same brand you would find at O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc..., only they are much cheaper!!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 03:17 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zeof
the truth hurts doesn't it when it comes to putting those aftermarket bulbs, esp. those that draw 100W plus. and, one more thing to warn you since you are putting in your hid kit..that is plug and play...make sure that there is a relay harness that allows you to draw power from the battery to power the ballasts and NOT your stock harness. those hid kit can do more damage to your car then what those bulbs did to ur stock....say...FIRE to ur stock harness. so, be very careful with that kit that you have.
HID kits draw less power than the halogen bulbs so melting should not be a problem.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

i used silverstar for over 2 years now. No problems except those damn thing goes out every year

Quick Reply: This your stock light harness after aftermarket bulbs...