Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Awesome install shop/help i got a problem!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2006, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome install shop/help i got a problem!

Ok here's the deal. I bought a front strut bar, CAI, rear sway bar, aluminum pulley, and TEIN basics a while back. I installed the CAI and strut bar by myself and the rest I just had put in today at a place called Custom Coach in Marion, CT. Really nice place, family owned with a good way of pricing their work. A friend of one of my friends works there as well so I really trust them. They did a good job and I am very satisfied. They actually really surprised me.

I've had a problem with my car for almost a month now where the steering wheel is off center. I have to hold it to the right to go straight and if I try to hold it straight it turns left. I figured my alignment is off, no big deal. So I went to the local Mitsu dealer where I live and got a 4 wheel alignment. They found that the rear Toe was way off and fixed it.

My problem was still there so I told them and they said to bring it in and they would recheck the alignment. This time the front was way off and they fixed it. But I still have the same problem so It's not the alignment....

Ive had another problem for about just as long where at higher speeds (35 and up) the car shakes like the front tires are unbalanced. So the secong time I went to Mitsu I had them balance the tires as well when they found that they were in fact off balance. This didn't fix my problem either.

So I can only assume that even though I told them the problems I was having they niether test drove the car to check it out nor did they look for any other problems other than what they were there to do.

I know this because as soon as the guys at Custom Coach got my car up on the lift I got a phone call (I had just gotten home and this part really pleased me about this place). They told me that the first thing they saw was that my front sway bar along with both it's perches/mounting brackets were broken. I hadnt even mentioned anything about problems that I've been having. He had already checked everything out before he called me. Checked aftermarket and OEM (I already knew that there were no aftermarket front bars) he told me that if I wanted him to he would contact a friend at a different dealership nearby and get that all fixed for me before I picked the car up for only $60.

At the same time I was thinking I LOVE THIS PLACE I was also thinking HOW THE **** could my local mitsu dealer miss that? Especially when THEY KNEW there was a problem.

So I would recommend Custom Coach to anyone in CT. Marion is right next to Southington.

And i HATE my mitsu dealer.

Now to the question I have for you guys. The boys over at Custom Coach seem to have fixed my shaking problem with that sway bar thing but the steering is still off. I know I need an alignment again because of the coilovers but its still off the same as it was before after TWO alignement with the stock suspension. I was wondering if there is any easy fix that anyone know to having your steering wheel be off center when you know your alignment is good?

I would greatly appreciate any help here, this problem is EXTREMELY annoying. Really hard to stay straight on the highway. And yes my tire pressures are all perfect.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

might be the T-case.. i had same plm like yours... i took the tcase out and send it out.. i am waitting for them to reply me back to see if theres any damage in t-case.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by 2003evolution
might be the T-case.. i had same plm like yours... i took the tcase out and send it out.. i am waitting for them to reply me back to see if theres any damage in t-case.
Keep in mind it's a Lancer, not an Evolution.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

I can't believe I was that diciplined to read your entire post. In any case, good find on the shop. Life is always better when you trust your mechanic. Hope you fix the problem.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

I got a new problem, belt slippage i think. The new pulley was fine for most of the day but when working last night it started squeeling. Not insanely loud but too loud still. Im assuming belts are too lose/tight.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Check the tensioner.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a great shop, i need to find somone cool around me. The only one I like is a Subaru specific shop
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
Account Disabled

On the belt... just tighten it up a bit. If you don't trust yourself take it back in... they'll probably do it for free. Only takes a few minutes.

As for the steering Wheel... once an alignment is done the steering wheel is usually off a little. This isn't an adjustment issue that the dealer will do as that's a normal occurance. If you want to fix it you'll have to pull the steering wheel off and rotate it on the spline shaft so that the new position is centered.

At least you got rid of your shakes now...
Old Jan 19, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

dam i hate having the steering wheel off center...it was perfect a month ago. thanks for the info
Old Jan 19, 2006, 08:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My steering wheel is the same way.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

pop the steering wheel off and recenter, that new shop you found should be able to do it for you.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

awesome, ill give them a call about the belt and ask if they can do that for me while they are at it.