Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Picking up my Lancer tomorrow -- anyone else get it with exhaust/intake?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2002, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up my Lancer tomorrow -- anyone else get it with exhaust/intake?

OK, I supposed I should have asked this at the dealership today, but it never really hit me until I came back home and read some more stuff online about the car. So I'm picking up a 2002 Lancer OZ Rally, but it's priced at 19,000 and already has a tight exhaust and intake (loud when started up, mmm) -- I gotta get the details on it. I drove the OZ edition/automatic (bah) that DIDN'T have these features and yeah, it seemed pretty slow. I couldn't take this one out today because it was behind like 7 other cars in the showroom and kids were running around everywhere, but I'm wondering how much more performance I should expect out of this edition and if it's an "unusual score"... Ill be able to ask all this tomorrow, but I'd like to hear if some of you think that stuff is crap, blah, or whatever... like, am I going to be ripping out this exhaust anyways which added $1700 to the sticker price?

I guess just wondering if anyone else picked up the same version as this. Even if I'd be better off with third-party parts down the road, I'm quite pleased with the car -- the price, the color, manual tranny, etc... perfect for me otherwise.

Thanks and welcome me to the board. I'll be around a lot now, as I'm an ex-DSM (car finally got too expensive to fix... was a 12 second'er) guy who loves car modding -- anyone else in Orange County california?

Laters all...
Old Feb 9, 2002, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which dealer?

What dealer in OC did you go to?
Old Feb 9, 2002, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Costa Mesa, I believe... on Harbor.

Old Feb 9, 2002, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good times...

Thats a good dealer... The intake and exhaust that was on that car was made by RMR. RMR makes after-market parts for Mitsubishi that is sold through the dealers. Check out www.rmrproducts.com . Anyway, if you think yo are getting ripped off, call the parts dept. and ask them how much the parts are seperately. Or call Bill at Tustin Mitsubishi and ask hem. they sell the parts seperately. Just a thought... Good Luck
Old Feb 9, 2002, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks man! Actually, your reply was exactly what I was looking for. When I briefly asked about the parts, he said they were aftermarket, but didn't know from where (he's been working there for 2 months and not corrupted yet... very very honest with me i could tell that with the three hours we spent together) and that we could ask... then we got distracted by paperwork and blah and I thought I'd just ask tomorrow.

But I'm glad they're RMR -- what I have then is essentially what most of the guys are adding right now, correct? That's what you have? Do you know what this adds to the default 120 hp? It sure doesn't sound 120. ;P

Thanks again.
Old Feb 9, 2002, 10:16 PM

the dealer cost on the cat back is $315 and $93 for the intake, so you know how much the dealer is making!
Old Feb 9, 2002, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by meanrick69
the dealer cost on the cat back is $315 and $93 for the intake, so you know how much the dealer is making!
That's acutally not that bad compare to some of the stuff the SPS (Saturn Performance Systems) puts on the market...

Their prices can get pretty insane....

Just remember that part of that cost is going to the warranty so that those additional parts can be covered which is a MAJOR plus

Hooby
Old Feb 9, 2002, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the prices! I'll make sure to call them on it... =P
Old Feb 11, 2002, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help, guys.

I actually managed to get the RMR sway bar, intake, and exhaust for 800, which is all I paid to drive the car off the lot since I managed the 0-0-0 deal. They wouldn't finance the aftermarket parts and wanted to even charge $200 over the $1700 sticker price of those parts. I said, no way, I talked to the guy at RMR (hah, maybe not) and they're $800... rattled off the prices you told me. I'm not sure what kind of horse these add, but the low numbers like 20 hp some of you are quoting seem to be VERY low. This car is humming compared to the other OZs I test drove. So if you have an OZ, do the exhaust/intake... really, it's a nice first step and probably adds more in the 30-40hp range.

Unfortunately, though, I hit a ****in' racoon in Irvine taking a friend home -- nothing dragged but I have a little crack in my front bumper with racoon hairs sticking out. =( First day!

Taking on-ramp corners at 85 MPH makes me easily forget my DSM.

I love this car!
Old Feb 11, 2002, 05:04 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by orbisan
Taking on-ramp corners at 85 MPH makes me easily forget my DSM.
Umm, I think you need to slow down. The base Lancer is not made to do that. Heck most cars aren't made to do that.
Old Feb 11, 2002, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

It's not a base Lancer (as you read...RMR sway bar/exhaust/intake) and I just got the car so forgive me for doing some comparisons. Granted, I didn't take it EVER over 85 and won't 'til she's broken in.

Anyways, dad... sorry, it won't happen again.

(and our on-ramps are probably a lot different than yours)