Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05ES
damn that MO weather, anywasys yea use 0 gauge wire. you'll be fine. I have a friend who did this and cold starts have never been a problem
yeah STL and NY has almost the same weather.. we'd be about 5-8 degs colder cuz of the coastline... im using 1-2 guage.. so i'll take ur advice and pull that line out and swap for 0 guage.. hopefully next winter (2 cold to pull it now ) we'll see an improvement. thanks for the advice!

(0 guage... damm i knew it!! )
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

yeah I was also gonna mention.... 40 pounds won't offset too much weight. . . .for me at least.... that's almost 50% of what my wife weighs though!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you guys are venting the battery outside the trunk, you dont want hydrogen gas being built up inside your trunk while the battery is being charged, especially with all the amps and stereo equipment some people have back there, ..... remember the hindenburgh?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Smile Custom bat box

Originally Posted by Evilution VIII
Make sure you guys are venting the battery outside the trunk, you dont want hydrogen gas being built up inside your trunk while the battery is being charged, especially with all the amps and stereo equipment some people have back there, ..... remember the hindenburgh?
He has a point.. i did a 100% custom box install... screw marritime boxes and crap just seal up one of your own.. i fiberglasssed a case and set it in the spare tire compartment of my pontiac... vented easily out through the natural aspiration holes in the body in that section (they were there so the tire wouldnt rot from condensation) now with the lancer.. what im in the process of doing is because the trunk is just so ungodly huge.. im going to fiberglass off a section the right size for a second battry and isolation control system.

best way to do it. ---> make your case anyway you want... ide go yellowtop.. none of that lead acid business. lancer ES = 60/40 fold down seats already your on the winning team with fresh air, i went onto sound domain.. got some of those nifty flat blower fans.. and 2 peices of 1.5 inch metal duct, first one went from inside the batter case (through a carbon and 3M air filter) and into pretty much dead space anywhere you want the 2nd peice can be used to either rout air back INTO the trunk of you soo choose.. but i dont.. i keep my trunk at a slight vaccume. has its advantages... for another thread at another time.. hope this helped somewhat.. prolly not at all.. lol

btw www.sounddomain.com check under custom installation get those fiberglass sheets and some resin and go baby go
Old Feb 24, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

by the way, i wish i had an 80 lb wife... now THATS potential... and ease of use... lol
Old Feb 24, 2006, 08:22 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

I only have it vented in the way that the holes are a little larger than needed for the J bolts, plus an extra hole I drilled in the wrong location. I never smell any fumes in the cabin or when opening the trunk after a long drive. Or does hydrogen (that's the fumes, right?) not have a smell?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

urban night.. your talkin to me? cuase the vent holes i used mandral bent exaust peices from the auto shop down the street cheap sell stuff. just cut and ducted the air out of the trunk... no hydrogen in the trunk at all.. or in the car for that matter. and yeah.. hydrogen does have a smell.. and a very very fun effect if you breath it
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:57 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Well, in that case I don't have any problem with fumes. And yeah, I was asking anyone who knew the answer.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Just get a optima yellowtop they dont release anything during charge / discharge, dry cell technology is great stuff, and yeah even with the dry cell tech they still release a smidge of hydrogen but i read a in depth on it last night ill scan the manual later, says "during trickle charge battery releases approx .002 oz hyrdogen per 4cu ft... and only .03 oz of hyd during fast charge per 3 cu ft... you couldnt ignite that with an atomic bomb
Old Feb 25, 2006, 04:02 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

That's good to know. So all those people who say you could blow your car up by connecting the jumper cables + to + and - to - because the sparks might ignite the hydrogen... probably incorrect.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

If that were the case i would have blown up about 200 jump starts ago... the hydrogen issue would be a problem if you left a lead acid battry in your trunk charged it with all the juice an f-15 attack fighter could provide for 4 hours straight.. THEN closed the trunk.. sealed the entire thing with sillicone and THEN left it there for about 2 weeks..

NOW if you can somehow get a spark in there WITHOUT opening the now airtight hydrogen filled trunk... theres a 1 in 10 chance it MIGHT blow up...

this comming from an advanced chem 2 professor... ill take his work for it.. you can take noobs words for it if you so choose as far as im concerned anywhere your going to TOUCH The battery with something is prolly exposed to open air anyways... so your all good in the hood
Old Feb 25, 2006, 06:12 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Cool, thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

no problem... when in doubt always plan for the worst.. if you think there might be a chance of a problem just duct the hell out of it.. you can never be too safe when it comes to your baby.. and by baby i mean the love of your life.. and by the love of your life.. i mean your car... obviously.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by AndrewMMueller
by the way, i wish i had an 80 lb wife... now THATS potential... and ease of use... lol
Not to go too off topic, but I'm 125 and I'm freakin' tiny... I couldn't handle dating or being married to a girl that only weighed 80 lbs...
Old Feb 26, 2006, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

remember guys, it was approx.... my wife is short and petit and weighs a buck 10, ok? everyone feel better?

Quick Reply: Battery relocation