Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Cracked Windshield... Stess Crack?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cracked Windshield... Stress Crack?

Went out to my car, sat down and noticed two cracks coming from the left edge of the window. Was going to get it fixed when I had the money but my dad told me it might be a stress crack and if it is it would be covered. Some time went by the crack went from the left side of the windshield all the way to the right side. Took the car into the dealership, a service tech looked at it said its a stress crack. The service manager looked at it and agreed and said they needed approval from the district manager. They called district manager up and he said most stress cracks happen within the first 1,000 miles and since i have almost 30,000 its not a stress crack and not covered... Talked to my dealer again and he said the district manager will be in on the 20th and if I drop my car off or wait there the district manager will look at it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing or can offer me any advice on what to say to the district manager.

Last edited by antiworldinc; Mar 2, 2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

My insurance here in SC takes care of any cracked or damaged windows free of charge... Check your insurance too.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry man, I don't have alot of experience with cracked windshields. The only cracked windshield I ever made was when I was washing my moms car one summer and hit it with some cold water, I forgot there was a little chip and then SPLIT! One huge crack down the middle. The only advice I can really give is that you should check with your insurance company. I read about how alot of people on here get cracked windshields and most of the time they get their insurance company to cover it.

If the district manager tells you that it isn't a stress crack, then say this "Well if it isn't then why do a few of the people in your dealership say it is? Are you just hiring people that aren't knowledgable, but will work for the money you pay them?" And maybe he will feel a little dumb and go ahead and replace it for you. Either that or he might fire the people that said it was a stress crack. I don't know, up to you. I would check with your insurance company first though.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:16 PM

sorry to hear that its cracked. sounds like youd have to replace you whole winshield. Your insurance company will more than likely pay to repair the damage. If the winshield has to be replaced then they would have you pay your deductable, more than likely your comprehensive deductable. There are 13 states that is automatically added and a few others that you can add additonal coverage to the glass. if dealership doesnt replace it call your insurance company they'll help you out most of the time even if its a discount on the glass.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear about that man. But here in Florida if you have full coverage on your car your insurance will replace it. They will even come to your work or school to replace it for you.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:06 PM

just cracked my windshield, in NJ insurence wanted 500 deductible for it. safelite is doing mine for a good price. most places will come to you tho. just shop around, and compare. some of the big places do competitive pricing.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by eehjay
Sorry man, I don't have alot of experience with cracked windshields. If the district manager tells you that it isn't a stress crack, then say this "Well if it isn't then why do a few of the people in your dealership say it is? Are you just hiring people that aren't knowledgable, but will work for the money you pay them?"
Haha I might mention that. Well if the district manager turns me down I'm going above him to MMSA's Customer Relations Department and if there is no way they will cover it I'll have to go through my insurance company but I would have to pay a $250 deductable. Hopefully the district manager isn't an ******* so I don't have to deal with MMSA people and hopefully my windshield doesn't completely break on me.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it the orginal windshield?

I work for a glass shop and it doens't happen often, but stress cracks at that milage do happen. I'm not sure what the prices run out there but in Arizona here, my shop wouldn't charge more than about $160-$170 to replace it.

edit:

you're concern of the windshield "breaking completly" shouldn't be too worrysome. the way they're constucted is thaty there's actaully two peices of glass with a plastic laminate sandwiched inbetween them. The outer layer is the one that had a crack in it. there is no danger of any sort of harm coming from this except if the crask distracts you and you get into an accident or if something large (softball sized rock or larger) hits the glass. front windows are made differently than the side and rear windows. Those are designed to break in thousands of small peices.

Last edited by Automatic 51; Mar 2, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Here is what you do. You take a ball-point pen and you start at the bottom of the crack and you follow the crack intil it stops. That will be the point at which the rock that started the crack hit the windshield. That is what our service rep does and there is a tool that is used to see the part of the rock that is embedded in the crack.

It comes down to this. The warranty on glass, especially the windshield is very specific. The rep will follow it to the letter. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Same thing happened to my windshield. I'm in NY, so the temp doesn't help if you have a crack in the Windshield. It starts to spread and what not.
I went to a local shop around here and I thought they were going to charge me an arm and a leg to change the windshield. Since our cars happen to have a reputation for expensive parts.

anyways, they did a great job and all I paid was 80 Dollars. plus a 10 dollar tip for the guy who installed it for me.

I'm in Qns, Ny.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:07 AM

$80 total including the windshield? or did you buy it and have them put it in for 80? im in northern nj can you get me the address or name of the shop?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

80 for everything. I was even surprised.

I dont' remember the name of the shop but it's down here in Queens, NY. It's on Liberty Ave. in the Jamaica Area of Queens. A few blocks away from York College.
It's like a mini-industrial area around there.... a line up of junkyards.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:33 PM

heh well i got a call from my dealer today and they said the district manager probably isnt coming until the 27th. they said theyll call me back to confirm the date and give me the time he should be arriving. that means i have to wait 2 weeks and i dont want to wait anymore. i might just look into that shop. thanks man.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 02:49 PM

Fanny Car Svce - 12907 Liberty Ave, Jamaica, NY
Liberty Car Service - 12720 Liberty Ave, Jamaica, NY
J & H Car Service - 14402 Liberty Ave, Jamaica, NY

any of thoses names ring any bells?

edit: i guess i could call all three and ask for prices

Last edited by antiworldinc; Mar 13, 2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Nah.. Those sound like Taxi Companies...lol

Don't worry man, I'll take a drive around that area personally today after work. And I'll post you the address later on tonight. Ok.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield... Stess Crack?