Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

alternator belt problem?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator belt problem?

Hey everyone. Haven't been to these forums in a while, but I recently started having some problems with my alternator belt.
about three months ago, the alternator belt snapped off. I'm not really sure how it happened, I just figured its because the belt was old and I had never replaced it. But NOW, just about three weeks ago, the brand new belt that was put in came off. So I figured maybe it was a bad job done on installing it. So I took it to a different place to have another one put on, (pep boys) and now, just a week later, its making the exact same noise it was making just before it came off the last time. (whenever I start the car, i hear a brief high pitched squeal..like its getting stuck on something for a second, then it stops) I was just wondering if this is a known problem with lancers. I have a 2002 Lancer ES. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Apr 26, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new belts need to stretch. if they aren't tensioned properly, when they stretch, you run the risk of the belt coming off. just re-tension the belt. if you have any questions about how to do this, PM me.

mark
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:19 PM

yeah I dont know how to do that. i'll have to PM you about that, but are you sure thats what it is? It doesn't come off, like it just slips off because it was too lose, it actually rips off, like its getting stuck in something, but when the place tried to get it to seize, they couldn't, so I'm still not sure what it is.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

yep just retighten
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

if the belt is torn; you will need to replace it. if it just came loose (even if it's loose enough to slip off) just readjust the tension on it. use the diagram below. once the belt is on with the correct tension DO NOT FORGET to tighten down both the jam-bolt and pivot bolt that you initialy loosened. if you are having trouble understanding this; PM or IM me and i'll steer you in the right direction.

mark
Attached Thumbnails alternator belt problem?-generator-belt.jpg  
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem... just re tension it and youll be ok
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

i was having the same problem only thing is i changed the belt, then it squealed til it snapped(after re tensioning) and so did the next one. finally i had someone look at it and he said it was the bearing going on it. if u hear a hissing sound comin from your alternator it might be this problem. after i changed my alternator it hasnt done it since
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

a bad bearing will not cause the belt to snap...wrong tension will...you are correct about the noise though; any squeels, squeeks, or BEARING noises that remain after the engine is warm is usually a sign of the bearing going bad....DONT FORGET-->improper tension will cause the bearings to wear prematurely.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:41 PM

good to know.. thanks