Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Anyone have pics of aftermarket gauges installed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone have pics of aftermarket gauges installed?

I did a search, but really couldn't find anything, so I started this thread. I'm looking for pics and/or information on doing a gauge install in a regular Lancer. I'm talking about 52mm gauges or a tachometer, not the regular cluster that comes with the car.

Pics of the A-pillar or installed in place of the factory stereo (which I think I saw) would be great. I'm thinking about doing this sometime in the future... and can't decide between the 2 installs. I'm also debated between 2 types of gauges...

Ractive Blue CF gauge:

or Pro-Gauge SPW 7 color:

Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

those are pretty sweet pure.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah man. I figure if I had a couple of those in the dash, or pillar, it would really add something to the interior...
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

undoubtedly.

Chances are you would have to Fabracate a custom gauge cluster. Which would be something in and of itself.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Most likely, but that's what I'm trying to find. I know I saw someone who made a custom cluster where the OEM stereo was, and dropped the stereo into the change-holder beneath the heat/ac. I just don't want to go at this thing blind and mess up.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

I dont own a lancer but I have read that the same A pillar for a 2g eclipse will work...try Lo-teck they have pretty cheap prices cuz thats all they do is gauge holders I think I paid like 40-50 inc shipping. Not a lancer but here are some pics of what mine look like to give ya an Idea. I think Pillar guages look alot better than center consoles or bezels. (sorry these are the only pics I have on my laptop no good close ups)
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of aftermarket gauges installed?-chads-kewl-guud-luuking-car-012.jpg  
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

and a furhter away one
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of aftermarket gauges installed?-chads-kewl-guud-luuking-car-004.jpg  
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

I am trying to find a pic of a lancer with a gauge pod but cant locate one for ya....I'll post one if I do.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

thanks moby

another question if you don't mind... the a pillar pods, if i got them, do you have to cut the original a pillar, or does it just kinda sit on top? nice pics too bytheway.

Old Apr 12, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

So nobody in this entire site has installed aftermarket gauges???
Old Apr 12, 2003, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

I think no ne has yet... Probably a 5" Tach... But no one has pics....
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

oh well. guess i'll end up going with the apexi rev/speed meter.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 12:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just so you know.. if you get the CD Changer garnish for the 'cubbyhole' pocket below the HVAC, you can move the stereo down there very easily.. I took the garnish panel off, and it has the exact same bracket and mount point as the radio bracket.. the stock pocket is just shaped a little differently. It should be a no-brainer for you.. You can then get the HKS gauge panel for a 1DIN opening for 1 gauge and two 1/2 din controllers, or a triple gauge panel. I found another thread on the site which has the part# for the CD Changer garnish panel.

I have an EVO, and I put my boost gauge on the steering column, but I used double sided tape instead of screwing it down it looks like the factory subaru wrx boost gauge (its an autometer) and it looks good. However, I did a complete gauge cluster for my other car, a 1978 malibu, and wired it directly into the stock connector and used the stock pod as a starting point. Its not all that difficult to do as long as you have a good wiring diagram. Since you only need to use the stock wiring for the dash lights, directional indicators, high beams, and other idiot lights.. everything else can use your own senders and wiring if you want. It took me about a day to make the cluster, and another day to wire it..

http://www.bracketracing.com:82/feat...ge_Cluster.jpg

http://bbs.overlord.net:82/userpics/malibu.jpg (a pic of the completed car)

The entire cluster worked, I even wired a pressure switch hidden behind the cluster to light a oil light in addition to the pressure gauge. Its actually very easy to do if your not afraid of cutting and splicing wires. I am currently building a cluster for my Neon, which is a much newer car, but its basically the same thing.. The car will run without a cluster installed, so its really just a matter of getting all the 'required' items connected such as the MIL indicator and other lights.. the rest is up to your imagination.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

No you dont have to cut anything to install the pillar. Just remove the stock one. It is only held on my a few metal clips. this is how I installed them.
*note: disconnect battery before wiring*
1. Removed existing pillar. It is held on by some metal retaining brackets. Just get a good grip on it and pull..it should pop right off.
2. Install your gauges in the new apillar pods.
3. Run your wiring first so that you have enough wiring to work with. I was able to take a hanger and tape all the needed wires for connections and run them all in one shot. There should be enough room to push them down thru the side of the dashboard. They will pop out below on the left side of the steering wheel underneath your dash. and then just secure them nicely and run them underneath the dash where you need them to go.
3. There are two holes that fasten the pillar to the metal. What I did was place the pillar in the exact position and mark the two screw holels with a sharpy. Get your drill out and tapp the holes for the screws.
4. Wire up the back of the gauges to the wires you ran earlier. you want to make sure that there isnt a lot of wire left over, just enough so that you can attach the pillar so the wires arent all jumbled inside.
5 Screw the pillar into place, finish wiring the other side of your connections.
Materials needed:
Proper gauge wire
Wire nuts
Electrical tape
Drill
wire cutters/strippers
zip ties
volt meter
The whole install took about and hour and a half. Plot out your wiring route and where everything is going and connecting this way you wont run into any unsuspecting troubles that might pop up.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Purecoda, if you're lookin for A-pillar guage pods Road///Race has dual and single pods. They're made of carbon fiber.

As for the guages, I'd say go for the Pro-guage cuz you can see the numbers better, which is probably important.

Quick Reply: Anyone have pics of aftermarket gauges installed?